1981 Xs1100 Speacial help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Xs1100 Speacial help me

So i am fixing my xs11 that was handed down to me from my uncle he layed it down in 91 and has not touched it sense he layed it down. i am looking for stock handle bars and a front fender if any one has an idea were to get these or has some that they do not need. and what bolt on mods could i do to the engine while it is tore down part way cause i got to get it started as well shouldnt be to hard cause the gas was drainded from it the day it was layed down by my father(mechanic)

Lots of parts for the XS1100 on ebay. Also check the parts for sale section on this forum.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

but no handle bars the closest ones i have found were from jcwhittney i am not to worried about the fender i need the handle bars

Comment

Hey Dan,

The original BUCKHORN handlebars for the Specials were not the most ergonomically designed! Depending on your height, shoulder width, arm length, etc., the angle of your wrists with the OEM bars may not be very comfortable!?

www.MikesXS.net sells lots of bars for the Yamaha 650's, same fit as the XS11, in a variety of shapes/styles. JUST DON'T ASK or say anything about them being for an XS11..they won't/can't advice you on that and may even say they won't sell you the part! Several of us taller wider folks have found the OEM early year GoldWing bars to have a nicer spread and wrist angle while still providing a decent up and back sweep. YMMV.

Also, you may want to visit a local bike salvage place to "try on" some bars in your hands to see how they would feel, the wrist angles, etc.!!! You need
        7/8" bars...not 1"!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

What's your location here in Colo.? I have a set of the original buckhorns that would have come on that bike and a set of Standard bars free to a good home if I don't have to ship.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have a front fender from a MNS that will fit. It's got a TINY bit of tweakage to it on the right side from the PO, but I rode with it on my bike just fine until I found an un-tweaked one. Let me know if you're interested, and I can take some pictures if you want.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, right

well shouldnt be to hard cause the gas was drainded
              Best advice I can give is clean the carbs and entire fuel system then do the brakes completely before trying to start or ride it. It's a lot of work but well worth it. Run some Seafoam thru the system (oil and gas) for a good cleanout after starting. Follow the tips on getting a neglected bike running and you will be a happy camper.
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by Dan3490 View Post
                - - - i am looking for stock handle bars and a front fender if any one has an idea were to get these or has some that they do not need. - - -
                Hi Dan and welcome,
                if you must have a replacement for those ugly uncomfortable stock buckhorn bars, MikesXS sells the ones for the XS650 Specials which look to be similar.
                Mike sells nicer bars too.
                The stock fender from any year of XS750/850/1100 Special will bolt right on. The similar-looking fender from a Standard will not fit because the fender stays are differently placed. That is, the Standard fender will bolt into a Special fork but the fender blade will be too far back and will rub on the tire.
                FWIW, if the engine will run good, don't mess with it.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  I have a front fender from a MNS that will fit. It's got a TINY bit of tweakage to it on the right side from the PO, but I rode with it on my bike just fine until I found an un-tweaked one. Let me know if you're interested, and I can take some pictures if you want.
                  can i get pictures of the fender mine is tweaked a little bit as well

Comment

so my dad has a gold wing aspencade 1200 not sure the year but the are 1" i think they make them in 7/8" not sure though would the goldwing bars be better for a guy that is 240 and 6 foot? i see what everyone is saying about the angle your wrist would be sitting at im just trying to find a decent set and i was going off of what my uncle said and he said the stock bars were nice and confy but i got wider shoulders

Comment

can i get pictures of the fender mine is tweaked a little bit as well
                      PM sent...
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Dan,

Do a search for "Gold Wing Bars" or just Gold Wing and you should find a thread where TC posted the dimensions of the bars. Then go to your local bike shop and find a set of those dimensions or very close to it. This is what I did, got the set for $30.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

so my dad has a gold wing aspencade 1200 not sure the year but the are 1" i think they make them in 7/8" not sure though would the goldwing bars be better for a guy that is 240 and 6 foot? i see what everyone is saying about the angle your wrist would be sitting at im just trying to find a decent set and i was going off of what my uncle said and he said the stock bars were nice and confy but i got wider shoulders
                          I might be wrong here, but I think all the Japanese bikes use 7/8's bars, with Harley being the primary user of 1" bars.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I\'ve seen a few Jap cruisers that use 1\" bars, such as a Honda Shadow. Older Jap bikes, probably all 7/8\".
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

well we took my bent bars and put them up to his on his goldwing and his are bigger in diameter so i think they are an inch i appreciate all the help and i plan on going to the bike shop down the street from me and checking out some bars. what is a good carb rebuild kit?? im new to this

Comment

Working...
                              X