Links or advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links or advice

My xs11 was laid down by a previous owner and the handle bars are slightly bent. I'm looking for some new ones, but would like some that give it a more kick-back, cruiser feel. Does anyone have suggestions or a site that sells these? Also, rider pegs need new rubber. Is it possible to buy that or do you have to buy entire pegs. If you can purchase new rubber, how do you install? Thanks!
    Kerry-1980XS11 Special

New bars are available from TONS of places. The problem is, no one will be able to tell you what is comfortable to YOU. The general concensus is that you need to try them out and see what you like. Any 7/8" diameter bars will work, so you get to decide what style you like.

Rubbers for the '80 Specials may be difficult to come by. Not real sure on them though...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

reply CatatonicBug

Thanks for the info!
      Kerry-1980XS11 Special

Comment

Motorcycle salvage yards are often a good place to look, and for the same reason that Bug mentioned. You can at usually hold them up to your bike and get somewhat of a feel for what they're going to be like. That having been said, Mikes XS has a nice selection of bars, and their prices are reasonable. What some places get for a piece of bent metal tubing is nothing short of obscene.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Crackerman1981 View Post
          My xs11 was laid down by a previous owner and the handle bars are slightly bent. I'm looking for some new ones, but would like some that give it a more kick-back, cruiser feel. Does anyone have suggestions or a site that sells these? Also, rider pegs need new rubber. Is it possible to buy that or do you have to buy entire pegs. If you can purchase new rubber, how do you install? Thanks!
          Hi Crackerman,
          any 7/8" bar will fit your bike but bars are like shoes, you can't be sure they fit you unless you try them on.
          Most bike shops have a whole rackful of different bars, grab them up one by one and hold them as if they were on the bike to see which one you like best.
          You can do the same at swapmeets, there's usually someone there with a boxful of used bars for sale.
          The XS11SG rider footpegs are really special.
          They only made those wide pads for that year's Special.
          Nobody I can find makes replacements so you are most likely SOL unless you can find used pegs in better shape than yours.
          Other years XS11 peg rubbers are available and other XS11 pegs will bolt right on.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

On bars, I have to agree, take your bike to a local shop and look at what they have, then ask to take them out and sit on your bike with them in your hands positioned like they will be mounted. I went through three sets of bars before I found a set I liked.

I think the 81 specials have the same foot pegs as the 80 special. I have one left side good one from my now parts bike.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Thanks to all!

As always, great info for me to use! I will take all of your advice on the handlebars. My right footpeg, as you are seated, is the one that is worn pretty bad, the left is not bad at all. I am trying to fix this xs up. So far got turn signals from someone and painted them black, then installed. I just got crash bars and need to install them, then find some highway pegs for them. I need to remove the emblems and paint them, any advice on removing the tank emblems? Also, does anyone have advice on a good, slightly tinted shield that is big enough to cover hands?
              Kerry-1980XS11 Special

Comment

tank emblems are typically held on by screws. They are pretty small screws. Yours might have been put on with double sided body molding tape though.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X