Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cant get my factory air cleaner box back on. Please help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant get my factory air cleaner box back on. Please help?

Today I pulled the air box and carbs to replace the four cracked boots that go on to the motor side. I have put back on the carbs but, I cant figure how to get tha factory air box back on. Ive tried every angle possible. I must be missing something and cant figure it out!!!
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Well, typically the top part of the air box has to go back on BEFORE the carbs go in. Its a big reason alot of folks ditch the air box and go to pod filters.

To install it, that snorkel has to go up and back in the frame area above the battery box. Now, Bikerphil and perhaps others have posted that they cut the snorkel back to about 2" or so to let it go in with the carbs in place, making carb removal and install MUCH easier.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Heh heh heh........ya gotta put the box in th bike first and tie it back and wrestle the carbs in between it and the carb boots.

You'll learn the right words to get it done.

Comment

DAMN!!!! oh well I now have something to do tomorrow

When messing with the carbs today I had them in every position possible. top, bottom, side to side, upside down and so on. I did not hit any of the adjustments, will I need to have a shop re-tune them?

I did haver a problem with the first carb on the left side. Once I put fuel from the tank it started to over flow. I gave it a couple small taps with a rubber mallet to help set the float. It worked but, should I be concerned about that messing up the carb too?
        1980 XS1100 SG

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

It\'s ok to turn them upside down, there is no check ball inside like some automotive carbs have.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

This is why some risk performance for pods
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Airbox Contortions

Definitely chop the snorkle back, makes life much easier. I also took my Dermel and cut the middle of the airbox top bracket out. DON'T DISASSEMBLE OR TAKE THE SCREWS OUT. Just cut the section that has the screw hole in the middle top out. The two tabs on the back of the airbox that have screws going through them are plenty of support. That bleeping middle hanger is useless and a PITA. It just gets in the way. After you do that you can put the airbox in easily one half at a time.
              1979XS1100SF
              K&N's and drilled airbox
              Jardine 4in1
              Dunlop Elite 3's
              JBM slide diaphragms
              142.5 main jets
              45 pilot jets
              T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
              750/850 FD mod.
              XV 920 Needle Mod.
              Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
              Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

After you remove the carbs install the filter housing WITHOUT the lower section on. Leave it unbolted and lower front of air box as far down as it will go. Install carb rack, raise filter housing back up and onto back of carbs. Same for future removal of carbs, remove lower portion of filter housing and PVC hose, let lower portion of housing rest lowered in front.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I just install the carbs completely and the lube all the boots and the carb. it took twenty minutes to do from start to finish. I was swearing a lot and bled a little but a liberal ammount of lube and he boots will be easy to persuade.
                  1978 XS1100e Satin black untill I can afford some pearlescent red paint from house of color.
                  1978 XS1100s Flat Black with a Windjammer and hard bags setup. (parts pig)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    After you remove the carbs install the filter housing WITHOUT the lower section on. Leave it unbolted and lower front of air box as far down as it will go. Install carb rack, raise filter housing back up and onto back of carbs. Same for future removal of carbs, remove lower portion of filter housing and PVC hose, let lower portion of housing rest lowered in front.
                    +1 on this, what I do
                    The first time...
                    1. Wrestle the carbs out and remove the above(in a different post) mentioned top brace. I do take the screws out and remove it, but be care full because if the spacers and stuff inside fall out its PITA to put back together, maybe safer to cut it, or bend it, but I like to be able to go back to stock if I ever choose to. I do not cut the snorkle, not needed.

Every time after...
                    1. Remove the bottom of the air box
                    2. Loosen all the carb boot clamps, remove the two side screws from the air box, unhook any hoses and cables that are in the way.
                    3. Pull the top of the air box backwards off the carbs, then push it down so it is resting below the carbs.
                    4. Pull the carbs back off the engine side boots, then pull them out from the left, you can do the right, but I always seem to be standing on the left side of the bike at this point.
                    5. Service your carbs....
                    Installation is the reverse of removal.

I'd be willing to bet I can remove my carbs nearly as fast as anyone with pods, removal or installation takes me 10 minutes, maybe 15 if I have to look for tools.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                      +1 on this, what I do
                      The first time...
                      1. Wrestle the carbs out and remove the above(in a different post) mentioned top brace. I do take the screws out and remove it, but be care full because if the spacers and stuff inside fall out its PITA to put back together, maybe safer to cut it, or bend it, but I like to be able to go back to stock if I ever choose to. I do not cut the snorkle, not needed.

Every time after...
                      1. Remove the bottom of the air box
                      2. Loosen all the carb boot clamps, remove the two side screws from the air box, unhook any hoses and cables that are in the way.
                      3. Pull the top of the air box backwards off the carbs, then push it down so it is resting below the carbs.
                      4. Pull the carbs back off the engine side boots, then pull them out from the left, you can do the right, but I always seem to be standing on the left side of the bike at this point.
                      5. Service your carbs....
                      Installation is the reverse of removal.

I'd be willing to bet I can remove my carbs nearly as fast as anyone with pods, removal or installation takes me 10 minutes, maybe 15 if I have to look for tools.
                      Good, Im moving to Carson in about three weeks so, If I cant get it. your hired
                      1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

cool, it'll be nice to have another xs'er nearby. My garage is always open, well it is when I'm home anyways.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -
                        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                        My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Done! did it with out cutting or bending anything. What a PITA though
                          1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

hey psycoreefer,
                            i can remove my carbs in less than 2 min with pods,
                            dont need to remove seat or tank, just the fuel lines,
                            4 clamps and the vac adv hose.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

petejw said:
                              hey psycoreefer,
                              i can remove my carbs in less than 2 min with pods,
                              dont need to remove seat or tank, just the fuel lines,
                              4 clamps and the vac adv hose.
                              Yeah Pete, that's because everything is upside down where you live!
                              Pods do help, but once you get the order down, even stock isn't THAT bad!
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X