Carbs for an 80 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs for an 80 G

Do I need to replace the carbs with the same year or can I use carbs from a 79,81,82 ?

I think someone told me I did but recently junk yard dude told me that carbs from a 1100 were all the same.

Also when I get ready to put them back together, I have a four to one exhaust, do I need different jets? I read a post the other day that said that ya need to match the jets accordingly.

Thanks guys

oh and by the way will it hurt (dry out rubber) to leave the carbs I have now all apart sitting out on a table in the garage or should I cover them some how, I have sprayed some scilicone on all the parts.

Charlie
    Charlie
    Rockwall, TX

The carbs are very different internally, 78-79 have brass floats, metal shut off and seat, adjustable main needles and larger jets (smaller passages?). The 80-up have non-adjustable main needles, composite floats, ribber tipped shut-off with an o-ring and smaller jets. BUT as long as you don't mix and match, they should work OK if changed out as a whole.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

There is one other thing to do if you get 79 or 78 carbies. They have breather hoses and the nipples on the air box for an 80 will be filled with plastic. You will have to drill out the centers of the nipples so that the breather hoses work and so that the carbs work as they are designed. No big hairy deal.

Originally posted by sixtysix
      The carbs are very different internally, 78-79 have brass floats, metal shut off and seat, adjustable main needles and larger jets (smaller passages?). The 80-up have non-adjustable main needles, composite floats, ribber tipped shut-off with an o-ring and smaller jets. BUT as long as you don't mix and match, they should work OK if changed out as a whole.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X