Using a scooter tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a scooter tire?

I'm looking for a "short" tire for the back of SWMBO bike, its a standard but I've got a 16" rim from a special. Anyways, I figure I can run a 140/70/16 instead of the stock 130/90/16, that makes the bike like 3/4" shorter without having to buy new shocks, plus 1/2" for the difference between the 16 and 17" rims, so about an inch difference.

Anyways I can find 2 tires in that size that are "cheap"
    Kenda makes their cruiser tire in that size, local price is 90, online is 67.
    Shinko makes the sr568 in that size, local price 60, online ?.

Anyways the shinko is a "scooter" tire according to their website, however its S speed rated (115mph) I doubt SWMBO will ever see more then 80. and has a Load rating of 65 = 639lbs. So far I see no problems with this. Any input from you folks out is xs land? Whats the difference between a scooter tire and a motorcycle tire?

BTW 600lbs is one hell of a scooter!
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
    I'm looking for a "short" tire for the back of SWMBO bike, its a standard but I've got a 16" rim from a special. Anyways, I figure I can run a 140/70/16 instead of the stock 130/90/16, that makes the bike like 3/4" shorter without having to buy new shocks, plus 1/2" for the difference between the 16 and 17" rims, so about an inch difference.

Anyways I can find 2 tires in that size that are "cheap"
    Kenda makes their cruiser tire in that size, local price is 90, online is 67.
    Shinko makes the sr568 in that size, local price 60, online ?.

Anyways the shinko is a "scooter" tire according to their website, however its S speed rated (115mph) I doubt SWMBO will ever see more then 80. and has a Load rating of 65 = 639lbs. So far I see no problems with this. Any input from you folks out is xs land? Whats the difference between a scooter tire and a motorcycle tire?

BTW 600lbs is one hell of a scooter!
    Hi psyco,
    the "scooter" tire is 10mm wider than stock, you sure it will clear the swingarm?
    What's a scooter and what's a bike is entirely in the mind of the marketing division.
    The tire's speed and weight ratings are all you should go by.
    I'd suppose the load on the tire would be the rear tire's share of a Burgman or similar maxi-scooter plus two adults plus all their gear?
    600lb seems about right.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

well, I pulled the trigger on the scooter tire, should have it mounted sometime next week. Got the 568 rear and the 712 front. Mounted and balanced for 110.00, less then I paid for any other set of tires I've put on a motorcycle.

I e-mailed shinko and they responded very quickly, they said that there is no difference between a "scooter" tire and a "motorcycle" tire. And the 568 will work fine on a 3" wide rim, so long as you don't exceed the speed or load rating. Also according to them the width is 5.5", which is slightly less then what dunlop rates the Elite III, MU9016 (140/90/16) that others say will barely fit.

I'll post pictures when its mounted!
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        ....Also according to them the width is 5.5", which is slightly less then what dunlop rates the Elite III, MU9016 (140/90/16) that others say will barely fit.
        That's pushing the envelope... seems to me it was the Elite II blackwall (not III) that fit, and that was 5.43" wide; add the RWL and they didn't fit. When I checked mine, I calculated a maximum width of 5.65" assuming zero clearance to the swingarm.

But there are minor variations between bikes/tires, so let us know if if it fits; it's always good to know you've got a shot with a particular size/make...

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

wow steve, you had me worried I just threw away 60 bucks,

here's the thread where diverRay says he's running a 140 size E3 without rubbing. I know I read it somewhere, but then I couldn't find it and I started to get a bad feeling, almost called to cancel my order...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=140%2F16

Dunlop lists the actual width of that tire as 5.57"
          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Not trying to freak you out ....

But like I said, there are variations between bikes and tires.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I should update that the tire will JUST rube if I inflate it to 38psi or more. As the tire you are going to put on is .07" less, you should be fine! For me, the 680lb limit is a little low, but then, I'm not that small...
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X