Ignition kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition kill switch

I don't have the Owners Manual for my '79 special, and was wondering what the function of the switch is when flipped to the left. The stickers are long gone, and I know straight on is run and right is kill, but left does nothing. (Unless it's kill also-never tried that.) Appreciate any help.
    Richard
    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
    '02 Honda VTX1800C

That's the steering head lock. If you go ALL the way to the left, it should turn the parking lights on. Be careful of that, as it will drain your battery pretty quick.

If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Hey, thanks, CB! It was broad daylight when I flipped it so didn't notice the lights. I will download the manual from you when on a faster computer. Very much appreciated!
      Richard
      '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
      '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Kinda confusing but I think the OP is asking about the emergency shut off switch on the right handle bar. If that is the case then the center position is "run" and turning it either right, or left, should stop the engine, and also prevent the engine from being started. Anyone who hasn't lately really ought to toggle that switch both directions and make sure it still works.

If you meant the ignition switch then yes, turning it to the left will lock the steering, and then one further will put you in "Park"
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

That is the switch I was talking Psyco- thanks to both for your help. I should have been more clear with it's location, and good tip on flipping it both ways, I always go right and left was very hard (almost thought it would break).
          Richard
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Oops! Sorry about that! I saw the word "ignition", and thought about the key switch. The kill switch itself is rather simple, and if it's not turning smoothly, you should open it up and clean it out. There is a detent ball with a spring behind it that keeps it centered, and that ball likes to fly away when you open things up. Otherwise, there are a few contacts in there that can get corroded and stiffen things up. A little sandpaper, followed by some dielectric grease should do the trick.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

IIRC there are a couple little springs under the contact plate too. They get pretty nasty sometimes, and occasionally they break, but cut down ball-point pen springs work pretty good as replacements.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                - - - Anyone who hasn't lately really ought to toggle that switch both directions and make sure it still works. - - -
                Hi psyco,
                if the bike still runs the killswitch is still doing all that it's actually good for.
                The reason to place a second ignition switch perhaps 12" from the keyed switch has always escaped me.
                A hidden switch to deter thieves I could understand but not one in plain sight.
                The only time my killswitch was operated was in my absence by a helpful passer-by who flipped it to "off", presumably for safety's sake.
                Had the bike half to pieces looking for a wiring fault before I noticed the killswitch position.
                Interfering bastard.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi psyco,
                  if the bike still runs the killswitch is still doing all that it's actually good for.
                  The reason to place a second ignition switch perhaps 12" from the keyed switch has always escaped me.
                  A hidden switch to deter thieves I could understand but not one in plain sight.
                  The only time my killswitch was operated was in my absence by a helpful passer-by who flipped it to "off", presumably for safety's sake.
                  Had the bike half to pieces looking for a wiring fault before I noticed the killswitch position.
                  Interfering bastard.
                  I think the kill switch is more for a fast easy way to kill the motor in an emergency situation.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think the idea of the kill switch is that it is in easy, no eyes, reach of your thumb, so if your bike was to suffer from the Toyota syndrome, perhaps on a section of very twisty road you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the road in order to kill the engine.

BTW I got crap in another post for recommending the "removal" of the tip over switch, I hate to see what the consensus is on removing the kill switch!
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

I use my kill switch every time I dismount. That's how I turn off the bike. The key just allows power to flow, then the start button and kill switch are on the right controls. Makes sense to me... Besides, if you follow the MSF guidelines, that's how they tell you to do it.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        I use my kill switch every time I dismount. That's how I turn off the bike. The key just allows power to flow, then the start button and kill switch are on the right controls. Makes sense to me... Besides, if you follow the MSF guidelines, that's how they tell you to do it.
                        On the three bikes I have owned in the last 30+ years, I think I have used the kill switch something like 4 times. And all 4 were on the previous 2 bikes which didn't have a tipover switch and involved the bike being on it's side running. The the 11, only one of the three times it's been down (all driveway/parking lot drops ), the tipover switch did it's job and shut it off for me. So in my mine, I can't see a lot of use for it.

It's also been a few years since I took the MSF course (back when I started riding in the late 70's), but I don't recall them mentioning the engine stop except for bike down situations. I remember being told to keep it in gear on an incline and such, but don't recall anything about using the stop switch under normal circumstances. I guess things have changed in 30+ years.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

BTW I got crap in another post for recommending the "removal" of the tip over switch
                          My dad used to ride bikes in the '40's, and that reminds me of one of his favorite sayings - "A motorcycle is the only vehicle in the world that will throw you off and come back and run you over." I hate when that happens .
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The gentleman that owned the bike before me never used the kill switch either, I guess that is why it was so stiff. I have used the key a couple of times to turn off the engine, but mostly use the right-mounted switch out of habit I guess. As far as Toyota syndrome (I work for a Toyota dealer, never actually seen a case of it in our dealership) at least we have a clutch we can pull in.
                            Richard
                            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Working...
                            X