tapping noise in top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping noise in top end

I have a 1980 XS11 Special and just turned 24K miles. I recently noticed a bit of a high pitched whine when accelerating and at high speeds(50 -65). Then a tapping sound which seems to be from the top end has followed that noise. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner(which had not been done for about 6-7K)
    That seemed to quiet things a little. I removed valve cover and tolerances are within specs or even closer in some cases. I am at 2k on my oil change using Golden Spectro( partial synthetic). I have checked oil level and drive train levels...all OK. My brother who watches this sight indicated he had seen very little if any valve problems from these bikes. I'm going home now to do a compression check to see if the valves are seating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey there Mike,

How long have YOU owned the bike?? I remember a whining noise from my "NEW" 81 Special when I got it, the gears really like to make noises, clunks, and all sorts of sounds!! You say you've checked the drivetrain fluid levels, I hope you meant the middle gear section as well?!?!, not just the main oil and rear wheel. These bikes are almost bullet proof(Except for Courtney's), I drove my new one for almost 9 years, and never did a valve clearance test, and maybe one cam chain adjustment!! That was in my ignorant years, I know better now!!!

Like you said, unless your clearances are too close, then a bit-o-tapping noise is normal for these machines!! Did you recently put new mufflers on, and now you can hear your engine better, or did you get a different helmet, add a windshield?? All could change the sounds you are able to hear while riding!? Without further symptoms, it sounds not too out of the ordinary!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If the valves are closer than spec you need to adjust them with smaller shims, but usually this condition would quiet the valve train, unless severe. Also did you hear the tensioner snap out? You may be at the end of the adjustment, mine was at about 80K miles, not likely on one with 24K though. My XS whines and taps, it even clunks and pops sometimes, wish I could hear the noise.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I had a similar experience recently. After hearing a tapping noise around the top end I had the valves and cam chain tensioner adjusted, but the tapping still remained. It turned out to be a loose gasket/connection where the header pipe connects to the engine.
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Incidentally, it seems that sometimes PO's can manage to squeeze several exhaust gaskets into each head exhaust port. You may try detaching your headers, clearing out all remaining exhaust gaskets, and installing 1 new each hole. The head I just installed had no less than 3 old gaskets per hole!
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
          X