850 final drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 850 final drive

i have seen that a lot of members have done this mod. was wondering what the performance gains were.
    82 xj1100j
    4-1 header
    k&n air pods
    accel coils
    progressive rear shocks
    dyno jet kit
    79 xs1100es (love of my life) passed away

performance gains?

I've had an 850 FD sitting in my parts pile for years.
    At first I did not install it because I decided to wait and see how it worked out for the guys who were doing the mod. Then between procrastination and just a lot of miles with the stock drive on several XSes I just never felt the need.

BUT

I have read the "testimonials" about better fuel mileage and the decreased rpm and engine noise while cruising. Seems to work very well for some. I guess how one likes it really depends on how and where you ride. Someday I might stick it on one just to see how it works for me... but I don’t have a problem with 5000+ rpm on the freeway and I normally get mid 30 to low 40’s MPG.

mro
    BTW, this mod by itself it won’t make your bike any faster.
    So maybe a little insight into where I’m coming from.
    Stock cam chain tensioner works just fine for me as well as the octy on my specials.
    I do have some mods on my hot rod XS, but the others are pretty much stock. Other than a little bling.

Comment

i havent done the mod myself,
      but i thinks its a taller gearing,
      so if anything it would cause slower acceleration
      but a greater top speed.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I have the 850FD mod and I like it a lot. It really isn't a "performance" mod it is more of a comfort mod.

Very comfortable if you do a lot of highway cruising as it drops your cruising rpm by at least 800rpms. That 6th gear that has been missing.

It will NOT make your bike faster at top end since the engine will be running fewer rpms at any given speed it will put less HP to the ground.

How fast do you NEED to go?

Comment

DannyB,

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I used an 850FD from a MNS.

I would say it all depends on how you're using your bike.
          If your's is a stripped down, naked, town bike mostly... don't do it.

But, if touring's your thing, and your bike's a full blown bagger... and you take long trips or run the turnpike a lot... this is the SCHTUFFFF!!!!!
          By all means, do it.

If, every time you shift through the gears, and you find yourself constantly trying to shift into the 'missing' 6th gear... then you need to do it.

If you're trying to increase touring range mpg's per tank, quiet down the engine noise, and give the bike a more relaxed highway ride... do it!

I love mine. Changed the whole personality of my XJ. BUT: I tour mostly, and run the turnpike at 80mph a lot!

You'll see around 800 rpm reduction on the highway.
          I've seen a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy since I did the swap, too.

At 80 mph, I used to tach 5000 rpm. Now it tachs 4200.

Launches are slightly different, due to the taller ring & pinion gearing, but not all that big of difference.

As I said, if you've got a full dresser, this is the way to go. If you're looking for stop light to stop light, keep it stock.
          Regards,
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

As my signature shows, prior to the XS11, I rode primarily CB750C. I was so used to the cruising type of bike that the high RPM at highway speed had me trying to shift into 6th. Since I changed to a 750/850 FD, I never look for another gear anymore.

My opinion and experience is that this mod does not produce any measurable milage increase. This mod does reduce low rpm pull especially in the upper gears, meaning you will find yourself downshifting out of 5th and even 4th more often. I do believe you can gain top end out of the bike by adding this gear, every one I have ridden ran out of RPM before it ran out of power in 5th. But really, who cares, the dang thing will go faster in either case than I have the cahonas to take it more than once anyway. And honestly, it has enough low end grunt that even the decreased pull is more than most bikes still.

I can also tell you that a fellow member here in the 'Nati has one installed after owning his bike since new and ridden over 80k miles. His riding style is very cruiser like. He has never had a gear slip issue because he rarely if ever gets on it hard enough to cause one. Anyway, he swears by the 750/850 Fd swap now.

I have always said since I put one on my bike that if you plan to go out riding through curvy hills trying to get the grunt pull out of the bike, then the stock FD is the way to go. Otherwise, the 750/850 is the bomb schnizzle!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

thanks for info. i dont think this mod is for me. i have a deep love for the acceration of the xs's and xj's and would only want to improve it not hurt it.
              82 xj1100j
              4-1 header
              k&n air pods
              accel coils
              progressive rear shocks
              dyno jet kit
              79 xs1100es (love of my life) passed away

Comment

I've got a 750 FD on mine, and I'd never go back to stock. As far as performance, XSChop has said that when racing other XS's with stock fd's, they'll get him out of the hole, but while they're shifting into second he goes past and they never catch back up. Also takes your top end from somewhere around 125 to over 140. My $.02.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

for the guys running the f/d mod
                  are you running 16 or 17 inch rear wheels?
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Mine is a 16" Pete along with the other Special I mentioned which belongs to Steppenwolf. I know DBeardslee has a Standard with the 17" rear wheel.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                      for the guys running the f/d mod
                      are you running 16 or 17 inch rear wheels?
                      I run one of each. On my SF with 16\" rear wheel, I\'d have it no other way. On my F with the 17\", sometimes I switch it back to the stock unit, a bit more fun to ride that way. I\'m thinking of switching her over to the 16\" wider rim someday.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

thanx for the responses guys, i was curious cause my bike
                        came with the 17" rim and rides well, ive often thought of going
                        the other way to a 16" rim for even more accelleration.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots

Comment

Working...
                        X