Knocking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking...

I took the wheels off and had new tires installed today. After install, i test rode, and had a knocking sound, which got faster as i went faster. it is very pronounced. the only thing i can think of is, i have a gap between the brake and the swingarm. (see photo) is this normal? i was very carefull too put all parts back in place. Im stumped, has anybody had this happen to them

see photo?

Nope, no photo and have never experienced a knock from the wheels.

It might be possible that the bearing spacer fell and the axel went in above rather than through it???

If this is it might want fix before riding anymore.

mro

Comment

Does it sound like it's coming from the front or the back?

It's sometimes possible not to get the speedo cable back in the front wheel properly, and can cause noise.

But I agree.... I would definitely go back over everything 'til I found it before riding anymore!

Something must not be reassembled properly.

Pics would help us help you.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I see his post was done at 2 am today! He may be still sleeping??

Okay Jomur, put new rubber one both ends. Whilst you had the rear off, did you also pull the final drive unit to check/clean and regrease the driveshaft splines going into the FD? That zerk fitting doesn't really do anything, and that is the proper and opportune time to do this maintanence. Also, fresh grease on the splines for the rim/final drive connection is also needed.

A knocking could be one of the 4 bolts securing the drive shaft to the middle drive coming loose?? But I would think it might be more of a rythmic rubbing/scraping sound if you got the brake rotor and caliper misaligned?? Also, check your fender clearances and such, fellow ruined a new tire that way after a change due to rubbing and cutting of the tire!

But, yes an actual photo would be helpful, there is a guide in the HOW TO FORUM to show/teach you how to post them here!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100180/100619_-16

Comment

Checking final

Ive taken the wheel back off, and the final drive, to grease and check the teeth on the gears. ive rotated all the assemblys and and shafts, and feel nothing out of the ordinary. would it be a good idea to start the bike with the final drive off, to see if i hear anything with it in gear...?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jomopics/4718683223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jomopics/4719331364/
            Last edited by jomur; 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM. Reason: wroung url

Comment

Saw your pictures, is the bracket left of the red arrow in good condition and seated correctly in the front part of the swingarm? BTW, I can\\\'t send PM\\\'s right now, it\\\'s not working.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have had my back rim of so often I can change it quicker than NASCAR. Your back rim is probably shimming back and forth which can cause a wobble at higher speeds. The noise may be the brake disc vibrating back and forth.
                Your swingarm is not pulled in tight enough to the brake bracket. Loosen your pinch bolt, put a screwdriver in the hole in the axle, loosen your pinch bolt, put a thin pry bar in between the screwdriver in your axle and that little hook on your swingarm and squeeze it left and retighten your pinch bolt. I have an 80SG and the torque spec. is 76lbs. You could check your axle nut too.

Good Luck. I hope that will help.

Wayne
                80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

One of my front brake pads would tick at low speeds because I was missing the little metal clip that holds the end of the pad opposite the pin. It was only a mild tick though... not really a knock.
                  '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Rider View Post
                    I have had my back rim of so often I can change it quicker than NASCAR. Your back rim is probably shimming back and forth which can cause a wobble at higher speeds. The noise may be the brake disc vibrating back and forth.
                    Your swingarm is not pulled in tight enough to the brake bracket. Loosen your pinch bolt, put a screwdriver in the hole in the axle, loosen your pinch bolt, put a thin pry bar in between the screwdriver in your axle and that little hook on your swingarm and squeeze it left and retighten your pinch bolt. I have an 80SG and the torque spec. is 76lbs. You could check your axle nut too.

Good Luck. I hope that will help.

Wayne
                    I was wondering if that was necessary last time I did a rear wheel. I noticed the axle didn't pull the pinch bolt side up with the rest, but the nut and axle snugged everything but the pinchbolt side of the swing arm toward the left side of the bike. I was thinking at the time that it would probably be better with the swing arm in a "relaxed" state. Interesting. I will have to try this method.
                    Last edited by Ivan; 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM. Reason: I mis spelled the word "left" with the letters r,i,g,h and t
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                    X