Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer should have bubbles, not brake fluid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer should have bubbles, not brake fluid!

Just rebuilt the rear master cylinder, i filled it before installing it, and pumped the piston until brake fluid came out. Hooked up the brake line, hung a hose from the rear caliper and started bleeding the blasted thing. An hour later, several cuss words and enough air pumped through to supply the International Space Station for a week, there is no end in sight. Don't see anything wrong and I double checked assembly of the MC. Any idea's?
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

When I bleed I use aquarium clear tubing. This sometimes fractures allowing air in the bleed line.

You can try filling the bleed line with brake fluid before connecting it to the caliper bleed valve. It should displace any air in the caliper. As you pump the MC you can see whether fluid is advancing indicating that you're getting pressure in the system.

My front brakes don't bleed normally. I'll get fluid in the bleed line but no pressure if I close the valve. However, if I keep pumping is slowly builds. I'll let it sit and pump some more and it gets tight.

Good luck
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

If you can't build up any pressure no matter how many times you pump it, you probably have an air leak somewhere. If you used new crush washers on the banjos that would be the first place I looked. Some of those washers require significant torque before they will smash and do their job.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

The fight continues

Gave up on the XS rear M/C and re installed the XJ master cylinder. Got it bled very quickly and easily. Things were looking up, then the spring that activates the brake switch broke. Guess I need to find a new on or a substitute. I guess it could be worse, but I just want to ride the dang bike!!!
        1979XS1100SF
        K&N's and drilled airbox
        Jardine 4in1
        Dunlop Elite 3's
        JBM slide diaphragms
        142.5 main jets
        45 pilot jets
        T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
        750/850 FD mod.
        XV 920 Needle Mod.
        Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
        Venture Cam Chain Tensioner