Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
    Well..... that's what 'THEY' say....

Is that also why horse jockeys are always the little 90# types?
    Hey, I resemble that remark! No wonder my XS is so fast.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
      over 100 hp to the wheel is achievable with these bikes. go to youtube they dynod one with the little bigbore and head mods it had 107 to the wheel.
      I'm not saying 100+ isn't possible, what I am saying is that I'm suspicious of that dyno. A dyno is just like any other piece of equipment, to get good results it has to be calibrated, and even then results between dyno's are notorious for being way different. The only real way to compare is to have before/after or at the very least have stock/modified versions of the same bike to compare, even then different days will yield different results. In addition its obvious that that took place at some sort of bike "show" and the operators may have intentionally "bumped" the results higher, no one likes finding out they aren't putting as much power down as they thought they were. Finally guessing from the guys name he's from australia, are they metric down under? If they are then that may be "metric" HP, which is only about 98% of SAE (american) HP.

The way I see it is if you're rebuilding a "worn" engine and putting in rings and boring to bring the cylinders back in spec then sure, spend the extra and go with the big bore, more cubes never hurt, if your simply looking for more power, you'll get way more speed for your bucks if you just go buy a used zip-splat with the 2k you're about to spend on the big bore....
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
        Hey, I resemble that remark! No wonder my XS is so fast.
        See, Jeremy...
        You missed your true calling in life!
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

turbo enquiry

Originally posted by clif731 View Post
          if it's hp your looking for you can't beat a turbo.that's if you like to roll the throttle on in 3rd gear and stand your bike straight up almost over backwards and top speed at 150 plus then a turbo is for you. by the way i have one for sale on here
          Hi, Sorry for delay in replying, dont get much chance to get on here. If you still got turbo how much, also my xs is chop down to bear minimum with z1000 drag pipes, so will i still be able to fit it, Cheers Cochie

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Cochie,

A search for the word POWER will reveal many threads, but you'll find the ones regarding big bore kits as well. Oh, duh, search big bore! Also search for dyno results/tests.

We don't know your experience with the XS11..have you had it long, ridden it much, etc.? Remember that these are OLD bikes and engines and technology. They will still only top out at about 135mph max, so almost any 600+cc crocheteer will take your lunch on the top end!

As stated, with proper tuning, they put out plenty of power for their size/age and frame and suspension capabilities. So, depends on what you are really wanting or expecting from your machine.

I've done the "little" 1179 big bore, but it had been 9 years earlier that I had been able to ride/drive my machine, so my seat of the pants memory was rather faded by that time. I do feel it's definitely stronger than it was before STOCK..and mine was an 81 which was the weakest of the XS11 series, and had a bit more head combustion chamber volume, so the alleged increase of compression that WISECO claims is supposedly less than the 10.5:1 that you should get with an earlier 78-79 engine vs. the 80-81 engines/heads. However, after it was broken in, I got 175-185 PSI compression across the board with otherwise stock head parts...cams, valves, no porting!!

If you're wanting an XS11 to be able to compete with crotch rockets...forget about it unless you're just doing street light to street light runs!
            Hi Topcat, Delay in replying cause dont get on here much & also not very comp literate. Tried putting pic up of my bike like others on here but cant sus it yet. Had it about 10years, hardtailed, forward controls, basically just engine & 2 wheels. Engine running in mint condition & goes well now. I ride a lot & hard & fast around devon/cornwall, more steady & cruising when on long runs like to Scotland & europe. As for competing with crotch rockets, unless its a straight road like dual carriage ways ect where anybody can twist the throttle, it is a rare occasion with my style of riding that one can touch me. Most, with my experience, can only use them in a straight line. It seems when they come up against traffic & corners ect that they dont have the riding ability to leave my machine behind, as they should be able to with their bikes designed to & mine cut down with no back susspension ect. A memorable one last year when i was out with a mate on a V max & a R1 went passed us on the straight, then we caught up with him behind some traffic & bendy roads & took & left him standing before he new about it. About 6 Miles later we stoped to wait for a mate that doesnt ride like us, took our helmets off & started to roll a fag before the R1 went pass & obvoiusly pissy cause didnt acknowledge us. Im 47 & a big kid at heart & been riding hardtails for 30 years & love riding pass modern sports bikes that should leave my ancient bike behind, i think it surprises them when they see my forward controled hardtail out manouver them. Its a buzz & i cant help it. This is why i want more exceloration, top end i aint to worried about as it does start to weave a bit at speeds near the 130 mark cause of being hardtailed. Happy riding Cochie.

Comment

Working...
            X