Help! Damn thing is broken again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Damn thing is broken again

Went to take it for a first test run before a bike run on sunday. I made it about 200feet pulled the clutch... SNAP I figured the clutch cable broke again. No such luck. what broke was the push lever under the clutch cover. I got some JB weld on it now, fingers crossed on that one Does anyone have one of these they can spare? or something that could be used in its place? Its part #28 on the picture... Thanks guys
    Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Might I suggest that you use the "plate" part of a muffler clamp, grind the smaller end to fit and get you through your Fathers Day Bike Run, then replace next week. There are many sizes of muffler clamp's, one of the plates just might work.
    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
    1978 XS 1100E
    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
    K & N Air filter
    Home built forward controls
    Vulcan Mustang seat
    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

thats the 2nd time ive read that happening on here,
      i think it may have been Randy's bike from memory.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I put some jb weld on it with a washer on the outside for some added strength. It looks like it will work as long as it holds strong enough. I found a new one on bike bandit.. $25 so we'll see how it goes. I plan to take it out tonight to see how it works... I'll let you know. pictures to come later
        Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

That part is just some stamped metal plate, you could probably pick up an equivalent from LOWES or such, use some small flat files to make the inner flat hole for the clutch throwout rod. I'm just surprised that it broke??

I'd be concerned about the action of the star plate and clutch assembly. It should be that hard for it to PUSH INwards towards the engine. However, if it were binding, then it would put much more stress on that lever, and could cause it to stress fracture!?!?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            That part is just some stamped metal plate, you could probably pick up an equivalent from LOWES or such, use some small flat files to make the inner flat hole for the clutch throwout rod. I'm just surprised that it broke??

I'd be concerned about the action of the star plate and clutch assembly. It should be that hard for it to PUSH INwards towards the engine. However, if it were binding, then it would put much more stress on that lever, and could cause it to stress fracture!?!?

T.C.
            Bike bandit has one for $20. I'll probably just bike the bullet and buy a new one. I have no idea how this one broke... There isn't any binding everything moves nicely... well before it broke...
            Tony

Comment

P.S. The Jb weld worked for about 25mins... so i missed my fathers day bike run (took the family camping instead) But at least i got her on the flying down the road for a little bit. And i do mean FLYING. WOOO she is fun. She Has a mid range bog and one of the pipes is running a bit rich, but still fun to ride. wont be shutting down any crotch rockets anytime soon but hey for a $1k total investment so far the bang for the buck is surely there! Oh one more thing, I've named the bike Elanor. If you've seen the movie gone in 60 seconds you know what i'm talking about.
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X