Rear Caliper Bracket Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Caliper Bracket Removal

Hey everyone, couldnt find this in a search. Im having difficuty removing my rear caliper assembly. Ive performed all the steps in the clymer up to "removing the axel from the right-hand side" step. It will not slide out from right to left. It will however go from left to right (I dont want to remove the tire). Also it seems the exhaust will get in the way when i do finally get the axel moving. Can someone guide me in the right direction.
    1979 XS 1100 F

Not sure what model or year your bike is but your on the right track, if you want to remove that bracket (why again?) you'll have to remove the axle. Don't worry too much, the tire won't fall off unless you pull on it to disengage the splines in the final drive. The axle comes out by pulling on the right (brake caliper) side. As for the exhaust you'll either have to remove it or rig up some method of compressing the rear suspension enough to give you clearance, the stock tool kit had a wire and handle thingy, I've never seen one though.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Are you trying to remove the bracket or just the caliper? If it's just the caliper, you might be missing removing the screw that can only be reached from the opposite side of the wheel through the spokes that holds the pads into the caliper and keeps the caliper from coming off the bracket as a result. This screw is not too hard to deal with on the back, but on the standards on the front it can be a real pain, as you can't get to both of them straight on, as the disk on the other side interferes.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

As psycho stated, the rear axel only moves, or removes anyway, from left to right ( as your sitting on the bike in riding position). Notice the nut on the end of the axle on the left side pulling the axle against the rear brake braket and spacers and the rear wheel holding it onto the FD. There is a sholder on the axle that sits against the bracket/spacer there and then the axle gets larger in diameter as it goes through the swingarm. Also notice the pinch bolt on the right side through the swing arm, that is all that holds the swing arm in position on the axle. So in short, it will need to slide all the way out to at least the swing arm on the right side to remove that bracket.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

thanks for the quick response guys! ill remove the whole axle. Haha the why is a pretty crazy story, though sounds like quite a few members have had this happen. I was driving the bike with the rear brake grabbing, long story short it started on fire! So i have some replacing of parts to do
          1979 XS 1100 F

Comment

Working...
          X