what should I use to stick on some badges on my 81h tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I use to stick on some badges on my 81h tank

so I am thinking of repainting my bike and want to buy some of those golf cart tank badges but I was wondering what the best way to stick on the badges on the tank
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

3M makes a thin 2 sided molding tape that works well, I've used it on car emblems before. It's possible the golf cart emblems already have 2 sided tape on them already.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03609NA-2x5.../dp/B001B0QC3M
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Automotive supply places like Napa or Lordco, etc should stock emblem tape. If you can't find any there, just about any body shop should be able to look after you.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I used marine-grade silicon to stick the tank badges on a Honda CB750 I own. That was two years ago and they are still stuck fast. The advantages are: 1. it is designed for outdoor use in harsh environments, and 2. I am told that if I ever need to remove the badges they will come off without damaging the paint.

Patrick
        Last edited by Incubus; 06-15-2010, 09:38 PM.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Hey Garth

Hey Garth, the badges work great but you need to heat them up and curve them to fit properly. THey come flat and straight and do not fit the tanks curves without bending them. I used a pot of almost boiling water, dunk them in for 10-15 seconds, pull out and bend them, easy when hot, with a curve and a slight twist on the front and back. Dunk in cool water to set the twist and curve and then check on the tank. If it needs more just dunk for 15 seconds again and twist curve, cold water.....etc. Home Depot sells a double sided tape, red, heavy duty, that works great, just peal one side, cut to length, stick to the badge, pull off other red side and push onto the tank.
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Uh, screws?
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Cnuk, the screw holes in the badges do not line up with the screw holes in our tank mounting plates.

Could also be that Garth's tank has already been "shaved" to eliminate badging.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                I used marine-grade silicon to stick the tank badges on a Honda CB750 I own.
                The thing you have to watch out for though with silicone (now I am not talking about RTV gasket maker silicone here different stuff) is that silicone causes metal to rust. If you look on the tube it says that you should not use silicone like that on metal. So if you had a scratch or a chip under where you put the silicone you are going to start to rust.
                Last edited by natemoen; 06-16-2010, 06:27 AM.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X