Carb-Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb-Idle

Cant lower idle. thumb screw adjustment is backed off to where the flag doesnt even touch it. where do i go from here...? this is my first street bike, please help. 1980 xs 1100 sg

Check that your cable is not hung up somewhere or kinked first. I do not think you should be able to lower the idle screw below where the throttle will touch it.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Idle speed

The throttle seems to move freely thru out the whole range... What is the normal idle rpm on these.

Comment

1000 to 1100 rpm
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Im sorry guys, the idle seemed to high too me when at a stop light etc. but i guess thats where it should be... Newbie at large....!

Comment

No problem, any other problems do a search, check the tech sections or post it again and you'll get an answer.

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Originally posted by jomur View Post
              Im sorry guys, the idle seemed to high too me when at a stop light etc. but i guess thats where it should be... Newbie at large....!
              You might want to download a manual or 2 from the link in my signature. Read ALL the tech tips (even if you don't think you need them), and read through the manual from cover to cover. Anything else that you can't figure out, feel free to ask away.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

I like to keep my idle set between 1100 and 1200. It eliminates the off idle stumble you get if your idling to low.

Plenty of tech tips here on the subject or ANY subject. Do a search. Don't be afraid to ask...
                  Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

other wise if the idle is high..

you should be able to drop the idle down to 600-700 if the carbs are tuned well with the adjuster screw (if you drop it lower the engine will stall)

My point is that you "can" lower the idle down till the engine dies with that screw. but for daily rideing 900-1200rpm is best.

if your bike wond go that low, your carbs are probibly out of sync.
                    please refer to tech tips on how to sync your carbs.

good luck
                    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Sorry.....didn't read close enough.

MindWebs is right you should be able to lower it below that if your carbs are adjusted right.

A bad sync will cause the problem your describing.

Sycronize the carbs.

Comment

when i was adjusting my idle i completely disconected the throttle linkage from the carbs. solved my problems.
                        -xs1100 special
                        -wife
                        -daughter

Comment

JAT, make sure there's some slack at the throttle housing cable adjustment.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by jomur View Post
                            Hi Jomur,
                            even if you do have a satisfactory idle after all, you still have a problem.
                            The mechanism should be able to follow the adjusting screw way down to where the carbs are shut right off so the bike won't run at all.
                            That it stops at ~1,000 rpm shows the cable is adjusted too short. Look at the threaded adjustment just below the twistgrip.
                            Procedure is to slack the cable right off at the in-cable adjuster, set the idle with the adjusting screw under the carbs, then adjust the cable to give maybe 1/8" of slack with the twistgrip closed.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Who the heck uses idle anyway?

FWIW, I usually run mine a tad fast, about 1400-1500, just because it helps with the anemic charging system. But that's just me.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X