Damaged splines - Tricks or cures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged splines - Tricks or cures?

So I took my wife for a long ride today on Incubus, ended up right at 160 miles. All around town. The ROT Rally is in Austin, along with some say as many as 50,000 motorcycles (mostly Harleys, still, but the population of real motorcycles grows every year). Incubus was cleaned and polished up all pretty and, as usual, got most of the attention and conversation in every group we stopped at.

Everybody had Harleys. I had something cool. Hot chick on the back, too.

Anyway, I installed the floorboards I scored last week thanks to a great tip from Psycoreefer. I like the look and I like they way they feel.

The floorboards came with a toe-heel shifter. I installed it too and rode around the neighborhood yesterday. The shifter works well and I like the placement, although I think it should be called and front and rear heel shifter. But I had gone only a short way and I noticed the position of the shifter had rotated a little. It still shifted, but the position was different. When I pulled it I noticed that PO apparently had the same trouble and a lot of splines are rounded.

You can see from the pictures that this pedal does not have a pinch bolt. It has only a set screw, and that does not line up with the groove on the shift shaft the regular shifter pedal bolt fits through. I can torque the set screw some more, but I don't think tightening it that way would give me the confidence to take the bike far. I used the stock shifter for the ride today and shifting with it, while not difficult, is a bit awkward without the pivot of the stock foot pedal.

This is a nice piece (although it is a lot of metal to hang on the shifter shaft) and I would like to use it. Does anyone know a way to improve the grip of the rounded splines on a piece like this?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

you could line the shifter up on the shaft and drill a small
    hole part way into the shaft so when you tighten the set screw it
    screws into the hole you just drilled. jat
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

One idea and one crazy idea

you could drill a hole to seat the set screw in, or go real crazy and weld it on in the right position no way for that puppy to move then. Down side to welding is you may need to remove it to work on bike.
      Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
      82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
      Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

Perhaps you could cut a slot into it and put a pinch bolt in like the rear brake pedal uses??
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Shifter splines

Wrap a piece of steel screen around the shifter shaft. Then, tap the shifter on. Tighten the set screw, and report back! Works for loose handlebars also.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
            you could line the shifter up on the shaft and drill a small
            hole part way into the shaft so when you tighten the set screw it
            screws into the hole you just drilled. jat
            This would be my choice, but I'd also get a different set-screw with a point on it. That way you only need a dimple, not a hole. Try your local hardware/parts house for the screw...

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

this happens to a lot of equipment at work. we drill a small hole through the lever and shaft. then us a roll pin to hold in place. you use a drift pin punch to remove. this is a good, solid, and non damaging repair that anyone can do. you could drill an 1/8" hole and never have to worry about it again.
              1981 xs1100 midnight special
              1983 750 midnight maxim
              resurrected:
              1977 goldwing
              1980 cb750
              North central Wisconsin

Comment

If you are careful drill a hole for a roll pin.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

My 80 came with the boards and shifter. I really like them. I have another set screw at 45 deg and it works. I found that locktite helps to keep them from vibrating out. A roll pin would be more secure.
                  POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                  THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                  1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

For the time being I am trying the steel screen repair. Put it in yesterday and took Incubus for about a 30-mile ride today. So far, so good. I have a 50-mile trip tomorrow that should be a better test.

I wanted to try something that does not do anything to weaken the shift shaft first. I seems strong to handle a dimple or a small hole drilled through it, but this toe-heel shifter is solid stainless steel and it has some heft to it.

Patrick
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Boards????

huh?

Pictures, PLEASE?

i'd like to see them.
                      do they move the mount points at all?

I'm 6'1" and the pegs are not working for me.

Thank you!!

Webs
                      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

This is what the boards look like on my XS11, Mindwebs. They mount to the motor mounts. The rear mounts on the same motor mount as the stock pegs. The front mounts to the lower frame mount bolt. These, however, were made for an XS11 back in the day. I have contacted the manufacturer looking for replacement parts and they tell me the floorboards and the replacement parts have not been available for decades. They still make floorboards for Goldwings, and the floorboards themselves are pretty much the same (Emgo makes a clone for Goldwings, too), but the mounts would be very different, I believe.

BTW, I do not think I trust the steel screen repair. The splines are too worn and the fit is too loose. I think I'll be trying the pointed set screw thing next. I have a spare shifter shaft from the parts motor if I mess it up.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Very nice looking bike!!

very cool floorboards!

do they reduce cornering capability?

also the roll pin fix idea is about the strongest idea.

thank you for loading pic's!

Webs
                          1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
                          X