No announcement yet.

1981 Venturer fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I painted my 78 with that $20.00 Harbor freight sprayer, both base coat and clear. Looks effin awsome!
    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Rasputin: Thanks for the tip. I found one on E-bay just like yours.

It turns out I did have a sprayer. It came the compressor I have. I went with a Dupli-Color that sells at Advanced Auto. It is premixed so there is no need to thin it. I believe it is an acrylic lacquer. So far I have the primer coat on. Needed to practice and figure out the settings on the sprayer so the first go at it had several runs I had to sand. My last attempt was better and there is just on small run I need to take care of before applying the base coat, they also have a clear coat to finish it off. I'll put some pics up once it's finished.
      1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TexinMaine View Post
        The link is of the actual bags. I don't see a bracket but I could be wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Tex
        Hi Tex,
        Those are 81 bags from the Venturer so set up for Standard frame.
        You will have to modify the attachment but that should not be a big deal.
        In the area of the top shock mount is a week point for the aluminum so you may want to reinforce that (mine were broken when i got the bike)
        Nice Blue I see these were here in Mississauga...small world eh!
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
          ...Those are 81 bags from the Venturer so set up for Standard frame...
          Actually, the '81 Venturer, while considered a 'standard', used the 'special' exhaust/footpegs, so those bags will bolt right on a special with no mods...

Another one of those little weird changes you run into on these.
          Last edited by crazy steve; 09-17-2010, 12:22 AM.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The link is of the actual bags. I don't see a bracket but I could be wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Tex
            Wow! I'm shocked at the weight limits for those bags. I thought the 20lb limit on my vetter bags (that's 20lbs per bag) was low, and the 20lb limit on the trunk was low, but wow, 10lbs? Now that may be a conservative number, as I KNOW I have put a LOT more than 20lbs in the saddle bags with no apparent problem, and at one point I put like 50lbs in the trunk, but handling was definetely adversly affected with that much weight that high.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I hear ya Cy. I've loaded all 3 Vetter bags on my cruiser well beyond 20 lbs each on a long weekend. Like you said, it affects handling more than anything. As long as the bags are well mounted, it will take far more than 20 lbs to do any kind of damage to them.
              I think it's funny when I walk out of a store with a case of Coke and someone asks me how I am going to fit it on the bike. I just open the trunk and in it goes ..... barely.
              Current Stable:
              1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
              1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
              1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
              1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
              WTB:
              1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
              1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFrugalTech View Post
                I think it's funny when I walk out of a store with a case of Coke and someone asks me how I am going to fit it on the bike. I just open the trunk and in it goes ..... barely.
                I do that regularly, but with 2-Liter bottles. I can fit at least 14 of them in the Vetter set. 10 in the trunk alone.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

On the last 4 day weekend trip we took, we were able to take everything we needed for the 4 days. Including a camera, laptop, some spare cables, and tools. Of course my things and the tools occupied one side bag and my wife packed for 7 days.
                  Being able to pop the side bags off like luggage really helps on a trip.
                  Current Stable:
                  1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                  1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                  WTB:
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                  1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

fairing

Got my fairing and need to repaint it. It is a dark blue and my SG is black. I read the paint FAQ but it really didnt have much on painting ABS. I recon I need to sand first. 400 grit? is that dry or wet. Any suggestions on primer, paint and clear coat would be nice. I do not have a actual sprayer but I do have a compressor so I think I could rent one but if there is some good primer , paint and clear coat in a can that would be better. Also the YAMAHA badges are faded and would like some nice new shiney ones. No luck on e-bay so any tips where else to look would be great. Thanks!

Steve
                    To make your badges look nice, get some gold paint and some black and a small artists brush, paint over the parts of the badges, and use some clear engine rattle can to coat the badges, two or three coats will make them look good again.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                    X