1981 Venturer fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Venturer fairing

Did Vetter make the fairing for the 1981 Venturer. I just got one on E-bay that is a little rough and will want to change the windscreen which looks very similer to the ones offered on the Vetter website. Also, this is a little cart before the horse, I hope it will fit to my SG with out too much trouble?? The only thing I notice when when looking at pics of the Venturer is that my horns will have to be relocated a bit medial. Thanks!

Tex
    1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Originally posted by TexinMaine View Post
    Did Vetter make the fairing for the 1981 Venturer. I just got one on E-bay that is a little rough and will want to change the windscreen which looks very similer to the ones offered on the Vetter website. Also, this is a little cart before the horse, I hope it will fit to my SG with out too much trouble?? The only thing I notice when when looking at pics of the Venturer is that my horns will have to be relocated a bit medial. Thanks!

Tex
    At XSEast there was a discussion on this...it was generally believed that Yamaha copied the Vetter design but that Yamaha made it. As for fitting on the Special ...it should as long as you have the correct mounting bracket for an XS11.One bracket that fits both the Std. and Special models.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Got my fairing and need to repaint it. It is a dark blue and my SG is black. I read the paint FAQ but it really didnt have much on painting ABS. I recon I need to sand first. 400 grit? is that dry or wet. Any suggestions on primer, paint and clear coat would be nice. I do not have a actual sprayer but I do have a compressor so I think I could rent one but if there is some good primer , paint and clear coat in a can that would be better. Also the YAMAHA badges are faded and would like some nice new shiney ones. No luck on e-bay so any tips where else to look would be great. Thanks!

Steve
      1981 XS1100H

Comment

rustoluim

Or how ever you spell it, any way look on the net. 50 dollar paint job, I am painting a bike right now with rollers and rustoluim, mix it 30 to 50% with mineral sperits, that helps level out the paint, look it up these guys are painting cars an trucks, after they wet sand and buff it out it looks great.
        I have gone the rattel can route and they are just one big pain in the rear and you can end up spending more money that way than if you do it this way.
        Look it up on youtube.
        Have fun
        Cowboy bob
        1979 xs1100 f
        142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
        floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
        1978 gl 1000 goldwing
        1981 gl 1100 goldwing
        !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
        when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

I asked Craig Vetter about painting one of his fairings a few years back (yes, he actually answers emails from his website). He told me that those fairings were originally painted with urethane paint and he said he would not recommend any other type. Urethane is much more flexible and works best on the plastic the fairings are made from. Another nice thing, you can paint urethane over any other type of paint. It will not lift the bottom coat.

As for a spray painter, do y'all have Harbor Freight up there? Cost about $20 for a decent sprayer.

And what's a Texan doing Down East?

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

it was generally believed that Yamaha copied the Vetter design but that Yamaha made it.
            Nice idea, but wrong. Vetter made the fairings to Yamaha specs for Yamaha. IIRC, Pacifico, or the parent company, bought the Vetter design from Craig Vetter in the late 70's. After a fire at the factory in the early 80's, the fairings are no more.
            The Vetter windscreen will fit all XS11 fairings AFTER 1978. The FIRST fairing was a Pacifico, and used it's own screen.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well I am about ready to mount this on my SG. On the front of the frame there are two holes which appear to be threaded. I am not sure but they look like they might some sort of insert. Does anyone know if these are actually threaded holes meant for attaching the fairing bracket? And if they are any idea what size bolt I need? I forgot to mention but the holes in the bracket do match up with these holes. Thanks!

Tex
              1981 XS1100H

Comment

On my 78 and 79 standard bike those holes are threaded. I have my oil cooler mounted in them on my 79 bike. If I recall they are 10 mm fine thread. Same as the rear fender mont bolts.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I just mounted my Pacifico fairing a month or so ago. Those are the holes for the top fairing mount. They aren't 10mm bolts, though. They are 8mm standard thread, like lots of other bolts on the bike.

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Great, thanks!!
                    Tex
                    1981 XS1100H

Comment

Couple more questions. With the weight of the front fairing what is a good psi for the front shocks. currently I am running them with 10psi. Also I bought some hard saddle bags and from what I have been reading around I may have to relocate my rear turn signals. I have read there is a license plate bracket, any idea where I can find one? TIA.

Tex
                      1981 XS1100H

Comment

Depending on the saddlebag brackets, Tex, the mounts for the turn signals might be right on the brackets. they are on my Vetter brackets. Do you already have the brackets? Check them for mounting holes.

Patrick (TexaninTex)

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

The link is of the actual bags. I don't see a bracket but I could be wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Tex
                          1981 XS1100H

Comment

I bought this set off Ebay. They were listed as a xs850 turn signal set. License plate mounting, complete with lights was 25 bucks.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by TexinMaine View Post
                              Got my fairing and need to repaint it. It is a dark blue and my SG is black. I read the paint FAQ but it really didnt have much on painting ABS. I recon I need to sand first. 400 grit? is that dry or wet. Any suggestions on primer, paint and clear coat would be nice. I do not have a actual sprayer but I do have a compressor so I think I could rent one but if there is some good primer , paint and clear coat in a can that would be better. Also the YAMAHA badges are faded and would like some nice new shiney ones. No luck on e-bay so any tips where else to look would be great. Thanks!

Steve
                              If you have a compressor, don't use rattle-can. For a bit more money, you can have a OEM-quality finish. Sanding? You should do all of it 'wet'. I'd use 320 under the primer coats, then switch to 600 for top coats. As far as paint, any decent urethane 'system' (avoid mixing brands unless recommended by a supplier) will give good results. For a spray gun, I like these:
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-94572.html
                              The 'detail' gun is this kit is just about perfect for doing a bike; a 'standard' sized gun puts down too much paint too fast when spraying smaller or irregular shaped parts. The detail gun has about the same size pattern as a spray can, but much better paint atomization for a smooth application. And at the pressure/CFM this gun needs, nearly any compressor can run it.

I love this gun...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X