pods and jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pods and jets

i have a 80 xs11sg. i like the look of the k & n pods and want to put them on. my bike is stock but the mufflers. stock headers 4 to 2, with slash cut mufflers. the jets are stock. to get good performance, what size jets should i use. thanks for any help.
    1980 xs11sg
    16600 miles, soon to be a lot more
    stock headers with free flow exhaust
    mikes xs pods
    #45 pilot jets
    #130 main jets on 2 & 3
    #125 main jets on 1 & 4

Originally posted by OLY-XSer View Post
    i have a 80 xs11sg. i like the look of the k & n pods and want to put them on. my bike is stock but the mufflers. stock headers 4 to 2, with slash cut mufflers. the jets are stock. to get good performance, what size jets should i use. thanks for any help.
    Hi Oly.
    This might be useful to you, it worked for me. http://xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382
    You can add your bike info in your signature, it will let people know without reading through pages of info.
    Last edited by blade; 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM.
    1978 XS1100 E work in progress. Bought in 1998 19xxx miles.
    1979 XS1100 F running. Bought May 2010 30xxx miles. 145 mains, 45 pilots, Ivan's v-stack mod, pods and 4-2 Jardine, 25.7mm floats.
    1979 XS1100 SF missing tank and seat. Top end dismantled.
    1989 xt600
    1984 Honda vt500
    1983 Honda cm250

Comment

my XJ came with K&N pods from the PO. They looked good in the beginning, nice shiny chrome. After three seasons they look like sh*t. The chrome covers on 2 of the filters flew off while driving and the chrome ring near the front disappeared on one.
      If you drive in any kind of dusty conditions they get dirty fast cause they are out in the open, and the outer ones get it worse. It changes the tuning of the bike. In my experience they look good for a while, take away performance under 3000 rpm, and I've had to colortune two or three times a summer because of them. My other bikes don't have this problem in the same driving conditions. My two cents.
      I'm really thinking about trying to find a stock airbox.
      Saskatoon, Canada
      1982 XJ1100
      1982 650 Maxim
      1978 XS1100

Comment

IMHO the K & N pods are way overpriced. Mikes XS sells basically the same thing, but for $16 ea. They even have an XS logo - that's gotta improve performance .

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have the same setup on my '81 MNS. Went from 110 mains to 120 on outside and to 125 on inside. No other changes.
          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I have run pods on my 81 since I got it basically. They will effect the low end negatively to some extent, but help the top end. I haven't had the trouble with dust, and I live on a dirt road, so YMMV. Also, before anyone gets on here and says you can't ride in the rain with them, that has never been a problem for me.

I have the Dynojet kit with the largest jets they had in it, and stock exhaust. Seems to run quite well. I was trying to tune it with mikuni jets because they seem to be more consistent, and I was set up to order a set of 130 and 135 mains. So, in my case the pods need a lot of extra fuel. After putting the XDJ kit in, I had to raise the needles to next to bottom clip, but I think it was because I was running the mains too small. Now they are back in the 3rd from the top and the low end seems to be sorted pretty well. I think DJ did their research on the needles.

Good luck.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
            X