Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am i smoking

So here it goes!!!!!!!

Bike never smoked since I got it. This year I decide to put a small quantity of Seafoam in the crank case let it run and change my oil. So I do let it run for 10 minutes and start to drain the oil when I get to the filter bolt it got stripped even worst then it was so I cannot remove the filter housing. And I'm wondering if its smoking because of the seafoam or just oil burning. I have not got around to get the bolt off yet it will be done this weekend and get a new oil change done. What is everyone's advice on this. Seafoam or burning oil. It smokes only when I really open the throttles. It does not smoke when idling.

So this video is last year before storing not smoking
    www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

And this is a video I just did tonight smoking
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtwWIm0Xio

Thanks to all
    1983 xj1100 ***love it***
    2003 Dyna wide glide

Chances are the rings had some coke (carbon buildup) behind them and were causing them to seal, and the sea foam removed the coke and caused slack in the oil rings and is causing your smoking.

If it really bugs you, synthetic oil doesn't smoke as badly as regular oil, only problem is that most of the so called synthetics any more are just regular oil that performs like a synthetic. I think Amsoil is one that truly is synthetic, there are a couple others. Pretty expensive stuff to blow out the pipe though.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

May be your valve guides. Usually when they are bad it smokes all the time and especially on startup. I go with Ivan on the rings. Whats your compression?
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Well,

I have to respectfully disagree. My rationale: He never got the oil filter cup off. There is about a 1/2 quart of oil in there along with the filter, and so it's oil that was still "contaminated" with seafoam. It thins the oil a fair amount. Even a few ounces of gasoline can thin the oil considerably...from what I've read and heard on here from other's posts, as well as those of great mechanical knowledge. So...I'm suspecting that it's the residual seafoam and thinner oil that even though mixed with the new oil, is still thinner and more easily leaks past the oil rings, as well as it thinning the new oil as well!?

I'm not saying that the other possible explanations are not real or true, but until he's able to truly get the OLD seafoam oil out and all fresh new thicker oil, then he really can't say what's causing the smoking, or even if the smoking will continue with the totally new oil!

I would not have recommended him continue to ride it until he were able to get the oil filter cup off and the rest of the seafoam/oil out. The thinner oil could lead to bearing damage...especially under considerable loads...ie. full throttle bursts, etc.!!! If this were his only means of transpo, then I would have suggested that he either get some more...3 quarts of cheap oil to put in, run at idle to help pull/mix with the seafoam to then drain out again before putting even more fresh oil....to further reduce the seafoam to oil ratio!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Does the oil drain into the sump and then into the filter and then into the motor, if so I would say it is the sea foam that was in the filter that is warshing down the cylinders and causeing the smoke, I agree with topcat, get the seafoam out of the motor before you ride it any more, just my two cents worth
          1979 xs1100 f
          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Cowboy, not sure if that was a question or not, but to clarify it just a little...The oil form the engine and tranny drain into the drain pan, there it is picked up by the oil pump and pumped into the oil filter and its cup, through the oil filter and into the engine and tranny.

Leading to the situation TC described. I had that same thought, just did not think that bit of oill with its amount of seafoam then diluted into the new oil would be as harmful as it seems it could be.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

If it is the seafoam causing the smoking from dilution of the oil then he shouldn't be riding it.

If it's not then no harm/no foul...but there is really only one way to find out...he should get the seafoam out of there.

I'd go with a cautious approach here.
              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Hmmmm, I'm not a "GURU"

I see where ya'll are coming from. I agree that he needs to get the filter changed ASAP without a doubt. I still have to stand by my previous convictions because

This year I decide to put a small quantity of Seafoam in the crank case let it run and change my oil. So I do let it run for 10 minutes and start to drain the oil
                Assuming the small quantity was within the range to not overfill the oil then it was less than a cup. After changing the oil it would have been reduced to 12 percent if a half quart of oil remained in the engine. That would most likely leave a teaspoon of seafoam. Don't think that would do it---- but then again, as Ivan would say "there you go getting all realistic on us".

JAT
                Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-10-2010, 06:40 AM.
                Original except:
                120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

While I am not trying to step on any toes here, I don't think seafoam in the oil would cause the smoke.

My reasoning:

First, seafoam is highly volitile. It won't hang around for very long. If the engine were run with a few ounces of seafoam to operating temp, chances are it would all evaporate. Engine damage from dilute oil nearly always comes from either flooding the engine's crank case with thinning agents or from a constant source that trickles into the oil.

Second, the smoke comes from ash. Seafoam burning won't cause ash. Thinned oil won't get passed GOOD rings much faster than straight oil. Undoubtedly, the rings won't last long if subject to thinned oil, but if they are good, they should seal against pretty much any fluid. If they are weak, then thinner oil will get through faster, but the root cause would be the rings, not the oil.

Last, smoking related to engine speed is nearly always related to bad oil rings, when its a blue oil smoke.

However, I agree that it is a bad thing to run with dilute oil. Plus, you're going to need to get that filter off at some point, might as well be now.

Comment

When revving an engine or accelerating and there is oil smoke its usually rings in my experience. It can smoke all the time when they are really worn. When valve seals are gone I've seen smoke on start up as it burns the small amount of oil that dripped through the guides as it sat. I guess if the guides were really worn and the seals were shot it could smoke a lot as well, but i've never been lucky enough to see that.
                    Saskatoon, Canada
                    1982 XJ1100
                    1982 650 Maxim
                    1978 XS1100

Comment

Interesting concept is this. The consistant idea is that oil is getting past the rings. Now, the part of this that reminds me of the old which came first the chicken or the egg question is, are the rings bad and the normal oil is getting past? Or is the oil thinned out and getting past the normally tight rings?

Seems much cheaper to eliminate the thinned oil by changing the filter than to tear in for a rings. And if after replacing the oil it still burns like that, well, then the rings are still no more expensive and the oil filter is easier to remove. Just my thoughts.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

+1

No matter what the filter has to be changed.
                        Original except:

Big John

Comment

Yup, try the cheap stuff first.

With that little bit of smoke, I'd probably keep a new set of plugs on hand and clean up the oil and ride the thing. I was just trying to explain the root cause.

I guess I forgot to mention that I have seen this same scenario played out several times as a tech, so that's why I went with the diag I offered.

Comment

thanks guys appreciate everything ...... not to worry I have done maybe a whole 20 kms on this oil so yes the filter is coming off this weekend and new oil and I will keep you guys posted on the smoking....... thanks again
                            1983 xj1100 ***love it***
                            2003 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Well, I hope it all works out for the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X