Feel like a weeble. wobble but don't fall down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel like a weeble. wobble but don't fall down

I have experienced a problem recently that is very concerning. I let loose of my handlebars at 45 MPH, and the front end started to wobble very badly. As soon as i touched the bars, it stopped. Do i just need to tighten my steering head bearings, or is there possibly something else going on?
    Thanks
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Why are you letting go of the handlebars?? Not a good idea IMHO.

Do you feel it want to wobble BEFORE you let go?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Bug
      Yes, it is not a great idea to let go. Can't remember the exact reason, but it was a very short release. There is no feeling of wobble at all when i have hold of it. When released, the front end just starts to wobble side to side.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

THere was a pretty recent thread on this topic. I think it talked about weebles in the title to.

If it were my bike, I'd start by pulling the triple trees and inspecting the steering head bearings, regrease them at least. Then through the process of reassembly you should be able to confirm the fork alignment, and wheel alignment. Chekc wheel bearing movement while your at it and perhaps replace or regrease those as well. A good afternoon of work. Follow with new fork oil and verifying fork air pressure. Now you should be down to tire issues and have a well maintained front end. If it still wobbles, most likely in the tire.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Oh, you mean it's NOT a troubleshooting method?

Over here there's a long stretch on the south shore called Ocean Parkway (duh!) and it's dead straight for about 5 miles and rarely anyone else in sight. Lock the throttle and let go and the bike is rock steady. Held that for oh a quarter mile or so, just last sunday. Good fun Unless, of course you've got a wobble

I'd check wheel balance.

Comment

the usual suspects are tire pressures, the aforementioned steering head bearings and perhaps a misaligned swing arm
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
              Oh, you mean it's NOT a troubleshooting method?

Over here there's a long stretch on the south shore called Ocean Parkway (duh!) and it's dead straight for about 5 miles and rarely anyone else in sight. Lock the throttle and let go and the bike is rock steady. Held that for oh a quarter mile or so, just last sunday. Good fun Unless, of course you've got a wobble

I'd check wheel balance.
              Out here in the great midwest NOTHING, you can ride with your hands off the bars for miles. I think my record thus far is somewhere around 6. Just gotta move your butt.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                I once rode for almost 100 miles across southern Idaho without touching the bars but after a while vibration made the throttle lock slip and I had to readjust the speed.

There are several things that can cause a wobble, I'd start with the tire and work my way up... If the tire is old, out of balance or cupped, it should be replaced. Then change the fork oil, check the springs and make sure the fork tubes are the same height in the clamps and all the bolts are torqued.

Put the bike on the center stand with a jack under the engine so the font wheel is a little off the ground. Turn the bars from left to right stop to stop and feel for any resistance or notchyness. Any resistance here and you should tear it apart to clean and inspect the bearings. Often cleaning and repacking the bearings is enough but you may need new bearings.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I know you have checked and this has been done, maybe check your tire pressure, tire is worn, out of ballance or dented rim, loss of air, sticky breaks...something that may have happened recently.
                  Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                  1978 XS 1100E
                  Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                  K & N Air filter
                  Home built forward controls
                  Vulcan Mustang seat
                  A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

mabe

It's because of your headlight bucket bracket, the one I gave you! It was the correct bracket but incorrect frontend. we noted that at last years rally.
                    there is a different frontend on your midnight. I was thinking why would the PO have changed it.Maybe a wreck.Maybe the triple tree neck is tweaked.
                    That would make a weeble wobble along with the outher things stated.
                    Good luck Bob
                    1980 midnight xs1100 Rebilt cosmetically
                    1980 midnight xs850 bagger
                    1980 Special xs1100 (all apart)
                    1979 special Special runner
                    2011 street glide

Comment

tire wear is a slight cause..

bearings loose and old grease is the main problem.

clean repack and tighten and 90% will go away..
                      the last 10% or so is most likely a feather edged or cupped tire.

good luck!
                      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
                      X