Pop quiz: Front Axle Castle Bolt Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop quiz: Front Axle Castle Bolt Size

I need to get a socket for the front axle castle bolt on my way home from work, but unfortunately I left my Clymer book at home. Does anyone know the metric size for this bolt? This is an open book exam.
    1981 XS1100SH

I just use my big set of channel-locks... When tightening, I go gootentight, and line up a slot for the cotter pin.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

That bolt is required to have 76 ft-lbs of torque. Not to many folks with channel locks putting that kind of torque on a nut. Not to resurrect a soar issue, but I sure as he!! hope no one is charging people money that does that kind of work on their bikes! For the love of God and yourself or whoevers bike your working on, go buy a bloody torque wrench!!

Now, as to the size of the nut, well, the socket that fits it is not near as important as the size and pitch of the thread. That, I do not have off the top of my head. Trust me, you do not want to put the wrong pitch nut on a bolt that would be that hard to replace. DAMHIKIJK
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

It's a 22mm nut, but a 7/8" socket fits just as well...

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          For the love of God and yourself or whoevers bike your working on, go buy a bloody torque wrench!!
          I'll try not to take offence, but I DO own a torque wrench, TYVM. Just like the secondary shaft bolt in the tranny that "reqiures" 51ft/lbs, the reserved use of an impact wrench works just fine. Do you torque all the case bolts to 7.5 ft/lbs too? I think not... If you can put 76ft/lbs of torque with a torque wrench that's 18" long, I CERTAINLY can apply that much force with a pair of channel-locks that are 24" long.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            It's a 22mm nut, but a 7/8" socket fits just as well...

'78E original owner
            Thanks Steve. I borrowed a 7/8" in a pinch from my neighbor last time, but my wife's gone and made enemies with him since then and I want to get the right tool anyway.
            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Yeah

In this corner we have a resident SUPER Guru and now we have in this corner another resident Super Guru. You made my case.

Now don't go getting all upset--just hear me out.

For what it's worth (and I ain't pickin on Bug) DGXSER is right in this instance. We should always torque to specs and the only way know for sure is to use a torque wrench. I am guilty as charged as I usually do not. I don't twist bolts off and have been wrenching since I was 5 (about 50 years if you're counting). My confidence is such that I take chances that I would not advise others or myself to do. We should always advise the best (and safest) methods and unless it has been proven wrong - by the book!

Now I'll line up in the stockade with the rest.
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

We should always advise the best (and safest) methods
                +1!!

Words to live by, John. No pun intended. We should keep in mind that some of the newbies we meet here have zero mechanical ability.

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                  In this corner we have a resident SUPER Guru and now we have in this corner another resident Super Guru. You made my case.
                  ...and neither one actually answered the question that was asked....

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

First of all Steve, you are correct. I misread the question and was thinking they needed the nut and not the socket. To make up for the extreme digression in the thread, I went to the gargae and confirmed your 22mm socket requirement.

My main reason for making that point was exactly as has been pointed out. Many of our members are just learning how to be a shadetree mechanic. And I would hate for them to think this is a proper method of doing such work. And by the way....
                    Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    Do you torque all the case bolts to 7.5 ft/lbs too? I think not...
                    I did not intend to offend you Bug, although I can see where it might be hard not to be offended, sorry about that. Actually, yes, I have a beam type 3/8" drive torque wrench that I use for everything under 30 ft-lbs. It is quite accurate. And their are several members here that can vouch for the fact that I do use it, as they have watched me do it on my bike, their bike, and other members bikes.

Now again in the interest of education, as to why I found that method so poor, channel locks are not even close to acurate in applying torque and can easily end up rounding the corners off the nut by the time you reach that torque. It is even worse than using a 12 point socket as those channel locks are only grabbing maybe four of the six corners. And even with John's calibrated arm, I bet he would find a larger difference tan anticipated in the amount of torque he has applied between two nuts he thinks are the same.

And no, I do not condone using an impact wrench for tightening a bolt in place of a torque wrench either. I had a '78 Honda Civic wagon that I had four new tires put on. Well they screwed up the rubber vibration isolators on the center dress cups on the weels, so when I got it home I went to correct it. In the process I found I could not get two of the wheels back off because the nuts had gotten stripped from over tightening. So I took it back and they broke four of the eight lug bolts trying to get the nuts back off. On that car, each wheel has four lug nuts. They expected me to drive it like that to. Ever since then, NO ONE tightens a lug nut on anything I own except by hand with a torque wrench. For anything where the torque requirement is given, the same applies.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

And just to add some more levity to the thread.......

John, Steve,....who cares what you think, your not even a Guru..let alone a SUPER Guru!!!!

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Dgxser,

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't have one of these

And even with John's calibrated arm, I bet he would find a larger difference tan anticipated in the amount of torque he has applied between two nuts he thinks are the same.
                        That is why I said this

We should always torque to specs and the only way know for sure is to use a torque wrench.
                        And a side note for those who may not know that the torque for the rear on the special is different from the standard (76 vers 108) DAMW.

BTW- I always thought that word "guru" sounded like something you would do in the toilet (preferably out of sight).
                        Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM.
                        Original except:
                        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          John, Steve,....who cares what you think, your not even a Guru..let alone a SUPER Guru!!!!
                          Hey John, is that our cue to go off??

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Sounds like I done did!
                            Original except:

Big John

Comment

Not that it matters, but I'm calling BS on getting 76 ft lbs with channel locks.

If I ever paid someone to change a front tire and it came back with pliar marks on the castle nut.. they'd be buying me a new one and never getting any of my money again. Losing an untorqued case bolt isn't going to make my wheel fall off and crash and your argument isn't logical. IMHO

The way you talk.. WHY do you own a torque wrench? Does it make a good hammer?.........LOL.........

JAT........... You tighten to that to 76 pounds and the hole doesn't line up for the cotter pin. Do you over-torque it by many pounds to get the hole lined up, or do you undertorque it by many pounds?

Comment

Working...
                              X