Venturer gas tank..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venturer gas tank..

I Found a big one on Ebay and just cleaned it out. I was prefitting it this morning and it seems to fit well, easy install and the seat works well..
    But right at the front, where the plastic trim piece goes to ease the transition between the frame and the tank, there is a big gap.
    If there are any venturer owners out there, could you let me know if there is a special plastic shroud on the frame that fills this area better. If so I may be able to get one from the guy that sold me the tank...If there is some other configuration here, I would appreciate the heads-up..

Thanks,

Gareth.

http://picasaweb.google.com/agfitz/V...eat=directlink

That blows. Send me the tank and I'll see how it fits on my bike...
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

were on ebay? i am looking too
      80 xs1100G

Comment

I too just swapped a venture tank onto my 79 a couple weeks ago. I just now walked out to the parking lot to have a look and I've got the same gap. I didn't notice anything different on the 81 I took the tank off from, but if no one gives you a good answer I'll have a closer look at the 81 when I get home. I do know my special tank dropped right on the 81 so I don't think there was anything to fill that gap. Yamaha maybe figured no one would ever see the hole behind that big fairing anyways?

BTW, like your horn! If you fab a bracket it fits real nice just in front of the swing arm pivot, instead of hanging out front.
        Last edited by psycoreefer; 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Earl, I have been looking for ages for one of these. It showed up as soon as we got back from XS East on a Buy-it-Now. Some guy was breaking a complete 81 venturer, ( bags, fairing, everything..) and I hit the button.

And DuWayne..?

Well...you know.....

Why would you want to mess up the lines of that Midnight now that you have it all shiny 'n'all??

G.

Comment

I just went out and took this picture of my MNS. It looks like the gap is about the same. The plastic shield on mine is not screwed down on the left side, but it is on the right, and seems to ride much higher than yours does. If it were me, I'd say, "that's the way it's supposed to be" and leave it.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks, Bug, for going to the trouble of taking a photo..much appreciated.
              Well if that's the way it's supposed to be, then I will have to do something to make it look more integrated. Maybe pop-rivet a thin piece of black plastic over the existing shroud to tidy it up.
              Not happy with the way it looks right now..

G.

Comment

Could you make new rubbers so the tank drops a bit lower? I did that on an old honda cb to lower and move the tank forward. Just depends where you drill the hole in the rubber for where the frame prongs slide in. Just a thought if it bothers you that much.
                Saskatoon, Canada
                1982 XJ1100
                1982 650 Maxim
                1978 XS1100

Comment

Working...
                X