Triple tree question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    I am going to be checking on the steering head bearings on the other bike, since it seems to have a "detent" forming in the center of travel.
    Ivan, in addition to what Steve wrote you have to double-check the steering stem bearing preload after you tighten the top bolt with the flange, the one you had come loose. If the top bolt is too loose it'll come off again; too tight can increase the bearing preload on the steering stem bearings.

With the front wheel off the ground to check the bearing preload you may have to go back and forth a few times between adjusting the two lock rings and tightening the top bolt or the steering will be a little too stiff and slowly destroy the bearings.

If the races already have already formed detent, well, that's a different set of Matruska dolls!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Ivan, in addition to what Steve wrote you have to double-check the steering stem bearing preload after you tighten the top bolt with the flange, the one you had come loose. If the top bolt is too loose it'll come off again; too tight can increase the bearing preload on the steering stem bearings.
      I don't think that would be an issue with these bikes with the separate jam nuts. It definitely would be on some, as that's the pre-load adjustment on a lot of 'em.

But getting the stem bearing preload right can have a huge effect on handling..

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        I don't think that would be an issue with these bikes with the separate jam nuts. It definitely would be on some, as that's the pre-load adjustment on a lot of 'em.
        Steve, you're absolutely right, it shouldn't make a difference but it does (did?). I was kind of surprised, actually. I set the bearing preload with the lock rings and the steering felt JEP (Just Exactly Perfect). I tightened the top bolt but I didn't have the manual or the torque setting at that time and the steering got stiffer.

If it's too tight the top bolt presses the upper triple tree down onto the lock rings and flexes the lock rings into the bearings.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
        X