Rear Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes

Well I've gotten the rear master rebuilt and ready to mount. I'm hoping my rear brake blues will be going away soon. However.... read something in my manual I hadn't noticed before. It says in the brake section that front brake pads for a standard are identical to rear pads, but won't work because of the diffence in pad compound. Has anyone ever run into this before? I haven't checked the pads yet to see if they say "REAR" like the manual says. If these are the wrong pads could they be causing my wimpy rear brakes?
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

I think that all the newer pads are made of the same stuff, front and rear. I know it has been discussed before and IIRC the general consensus is that there is no longer any difference. It was that way back when these were new though.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. I guess those pads have been saved from becoming small pieces. I guess the M/C is probably the culprit. Any advice on bench bleeding a master cylinder?
      1979XS1100SF
      K&N's and drilled airbox
      Jardine 4in1
      Dunlop Elite 3's
      JBM slide diaphragms
      142.5 main jets
      45 pilot jets
      T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
      750/850 FD mod.
      XV 920 Needle Mod.
      Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
      Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

I think the rear pads used to made of harder stuff, to make them last longer, since many people use the rear brake more thanthey should.

These days, if your a rear brake person you will go through a lot of rear pads, depending on how much you ride.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Tim

If you haven't changed to SS brake lines yet you will find a HUGE improvement in braking by doing so.
          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
          X