clutch problem or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch problem or ?

Dont know where to start. Rode last friday and parked bike with no problems. Sunday I started the bike while sitting on it in gear with the clutch in. It seemed to have no power and slow rpm increase. Put the gear in neutral and let out the clutch and the idle smoothed out and it reved normally. Pulled in the clutch and shifted into first; rough idle, throttle response slow but the bike did not appear to try and move. Decided to go in a few circles around the culdesac and the power was still rough in first gear and would even die as it had a heavy load on it ( some strange clunks and grinding noises also). Took it out of gear and throttle response was back to normal. Parked the bike and took off the clutch assembly hoping to find something broken, everything appears to be normal with no apparent damage. Springs, plates, and disks all within specs with no sign of overheating.
    The shaft that is driven by the clutch appears to have a lot of play: 1/4 inch in and out and will rotate about a quarter turn before engaging any transmission parts. Engine oil was clean and filter had no fragments. So? should I put it back together and hope it was a gremlin or does anybody have any clues to look at first. Thanks for reading this!

By far, I'm not an expert, but I'd close the case without the clutch and try it that way, so if there is a problem in the transmission gears, you'll know right away.

-Justin

Comment

Hey there S38310,

Sorry you went thru the trouble of pulling your clutch case off. Surprisingly, what it sounds more like is the Pickup Coil wires! When the bike is not under load, less vacuum is sent to the vacuum advance, and so it won't necessarily rotate and flex the pickup coil wires as much when free revving it without a load, and that the engine ran rough and even died under load, further points to probably the wires, or some other fuel supply issue, but doubtful the Clutch or Tranny. These bikes are notoriously clunky in their tranny. I don't recall having a 1/4" free play laterally with the clutch shaft the last time I worked/tore down one, but turning a bit before the gears engage isn't uncommon.

I think you could probably put the clutches back together, and check out the ignition pickup coils per the tech tips here.

BTW, I sent you an email and PM a while back when I first saw you post, I live just west of you in Portsmouth, Va., and am willing to provide any help I can!? HTH?
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X