Brake Squeal - anyone got a template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Squeal - anyone got a template

I'm definately missing the anti squeal chims on both bikes. I saw someone had a template posted at one time but it's no longer available it seems.

Anyone got a true size template so I can cut my own????

Thanks guys
    My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
    1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
    1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
    1981 Suzuki GS550 E
    1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

to be honest, I'm not sure they do anything, I've got all my shims and my brakes still squeal like he!!.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Comfort or performance..........choose one because you can't have both.

Nature of the beast.

Comment

Is this what you're taling about?

b.walker5 was kind enough to come up with this cad drawing of the retainer clip. They're very difficult to find, and we were exploring the possibility of fabbing them. That being said, a squeal is different than a rattle. Usually means the brake pads are worn down too far, or you've got a problem between the pad and the rotor. I just redid a set of 79SF front brakes, and found the anti-rattle clip in upside down. Doesn't do much of anything in that orientation .

Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have heard it suggested that beveling the leading edge of your brake pad friction material can reduce squeal. That would be the bottom of the pad in the front and the rear of the pad in the rear. I wish I remember who told me this, I'd give them credit. I have never tried it, but the logic seems sound. I also have had moderate success with the sticky paste that is put on the back of the brake pad, although it hasn't been a 100% cure.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Hi Ivan,
            we use to use that same method for
            brake shoes with the old drum brakes,
            ive seen it used with pads as well tho ive
            never needed to use it on pads.

the pad on the right has the anti squeal shim fitted,
            you can easily cut your own out using an aluminium can.

you can also rough up the pad to deglaze it, but youll need to bed them
            in again.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X