Headlight mount, and turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight mount, and turn signals

i had a faring that i took off before i got the bike running, so i need to get a headlight and turn signal mount, and lights. i was wondering if anybody had some old parts they would sell. Also my turn signals don't blink, any ideas, i don't have the fronts so of course they are not hooked up and i didn't know if this could keep the rears from blinking, they just come on and stay on.
    1978 XS1100

you got it, no front signals will stop the rears from blinking. The stock flasher relay is mechanical and needs a certain amount of load on it to make it work, with out the front flashers you don't have enough load so it doesn't blink.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Sgriger534 View Post
      i had a faring that i took off before i got the bike running, so i need to get a headlight and turn signal mount, and lights. i was wondering if anybody had some old parts they would sell. Also my turn signals don't blink, any ideas, i don't have the fronts so of course they are not hooked up and i didn't know if this could keep the rears from blinking, they just come on and stay on.
      You'll find a TON of threads on this one if you do a search for "turn signal" but it can be broken down into a one of a few things that are MOST LIKELY the culprit....

1. Bad Ground - Turn sigs require a really good ground to work properly. Check all you ground points first and it wouldn't hurt to clean and tighten them anyway ... hey you're already checking them right

2. Handlebar switch - this is where I found my issue and from what i read most do. there are three wires in the left bar switch for the signals. They are notorious for becoming brittle and separating at the solder joint. Check this first.

3. Auto cancelling unit - depending on which model you have there is an auto cancelling module under the seat near the CDI that tends to cause problems. you can unplug that and try them again or switch to a two prong flasher relay which will eliminate the wiring to the cancelling unit. Which brings me to ....

4. Flasher relay - verify it's good and / or switch to a 2 prong model you can buy at most auto parts stores. The 2 prong also eliminates issue # 3 if it IS an issue.

Good luck hunting this one down and let us know how you progress.
      My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
      1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
      1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
      1981 Suzuki GS550 E
      1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

ahhh .... missed that no front signals comment.

yeah .. start there first
        My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
        1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
        1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
        1981 Suzuki GS550 E
        1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

You guys wouldn't know where to find new turn signals, i have looked through ebay but i can't seem to find anything that looks good. I am looking for just stock turn signals
          1978 XS1100

Comment

The stock Standard front turn signals are hard to find because of the unique mounting bracket that bolts to the lower triple tree pinch bolts. The stem, bulb housing, and lens are easy to find though. Gotta keep an eye out on eBay for them or maybe a member has some extras. If you put a round headlight on you're Standard instead of the rectangular, you'll have no problem, as they mount to the headlight bucket itself.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X