Accel coil install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accel coil install

I am attempting to install Accel coils. I had some pics of an install, but cannot find them now. How have you mounted the coills?
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Originally posted by lakecountrydave View Post
    I am attempting to install Accel coils. I had some pics of an install, but cannot find them now. How have you mounted the coills?
    Hi Dave,
    it takes two brackets. Mine came with Accel coils already installed. The PO had fudged up nasty half-arsed brackets from what seemed to be a rusty beans can.
    I replaced them with well engineered brackets made from a panel off an old appliance. I even painted them.
    Try not to trap and crush any of the wiring between the bracketry and the frame.
    It takes months for the insulation to extrude off and short things out.
    The elapsed time can lead you into replacing most of your charging system components before you think to check the wiring.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks Fred! I am still having a hard time figuring this out. Do you have a pic of the brackets by chance? I cant seem to get the coils installed so that the wires clear the frame.
      Dave
      1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

I mounted my Accels on my 79F by placing the left coil in it's usual spot, then the right coil I have mounted with the front bolt only, pointing down. This way it fit fine but the bottom of the right coil was visible from the side, so I painted the lower half black to hide it. I also got rid of that shroud bracket and mounted the shroud directly to the frame. I remember someone in the past doing a really nice documented installation of the Accels, it's gotta be on here somewhere.

Ahhh, here it is.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/agfitz/X...at=directlink#

Here's the original thread....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=coil+bracket
        Last edited by bikerphil; 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Phil,

Quick question: What NGK plug caps did you end up using? I have some accel 8.8mm wires that really need the caps replaced (especially sense I think one is getting intermittent at the cap!) and I like the look of the NGK caps.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I mounted my Accels on my 79F by placing the left coil in it's usual spot, then the right coil I have mounted with the front bolt only, pointing down. This way it fit fine but the bottom of the right coil was visible from the side, so I painted the lower half black to hide it. I also got rid of that shroud bracket and mounted the shroud directly to the frame. I remember someone in the past doing a really nice documented installation of the Accels, it's gotta be on here somewhere.

Ahhh, here it is.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/agfitz/X...at=directlink#

Here's the original thread....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=coil+bracket
          -- Clint
          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
            Phil,

Quick question: What NGK plug caps did you end up using? I have some accel 8.8mm wires that really need the caps replaced (especially sense I think one is getting intermittent at the cap!) and I like the look of the NGK caps.

Thanks!
            I didn't use NGK caps on the ends. I went to auto parts and got a set of wires for a 6 cyl. GM amd cut them down to the right length, IIRC. I don't think those NGK caps will take 8.8MM wires.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X