Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEST METHOD 4 Cleaning ANY Cotton Gauze type Filters EVER!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST METHOD 4 Cleaning ANY Cotton Gauze type Filters EVER!!

Found this on another site and thought I would pass it along.

BEST METHOD 4 Cleaning ANY Cotton Gauze type Filters EVER!!
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Seems their forum is a lot like this one. A great idea will be shot down by 20 people, 5 will agree and start an argument, 15 more won't understand terms like "water" and "soap" and someone will get the mods involved, because it offended someone's idealistic pet.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I might just try this. I wonder if it would work on the yellow foam filters too? I can't see how it would hurt it... I've never liked Oxy-clean for my laundry (never seemed to do anything), but if it works for filters, why not?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

The yellow foam ones can be removed from the 'filter frame' and washed like any sponge. The ones I've seen, the yellow part is just a tube shaped 'sponge' folded back on itself around the frame. Anyway, that's how I used to clean mine before pods. I'm going to try the club soda/oxi clean process for my pods. I don't like scrubbing on them as it's hard on the gauze. Thanks for the tip mstic.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Would this be a good way to clean the mikes xs pods?
          1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

I tried this on my K&N filters for my XS11 and it works great! I imagine you could use it on any filter with cotton fiber. I had to buy the K&N recharger kit to get the oil. I got it at Advance Auto for $12 including tax.

Dirty filters.

I used some store brand club soda and an off brand oxyclean liquid stain remover. About 2 and a half liters of club soda to quarter bottle of the cleaner.

It sure did fizz when I added the filters to the solution.

I was really amazed at the amout of crud that came off in this solution. A lot of it had seeped out over the edge from a little aggitation of the filters. There is still some in the top left hand corner visible.

This is the solution after I had removed the filters. There is a lot of dirt in there.

They came out better than I thought. I did use the K&N cleaner as recommended after the club soda solution and rinsed them twice in a sink of warm water and still got a lot of dirt out of them and then sit them out to dry.

I think using the club soda solution definitley made a difference over just using the K&N cleaner and after a close inspection, it didn't damage the cotton fibers at all. I think doing this once a year is a must.
            Last edited by mstic2000; 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM.

Comment

FWIW, some vegetable oil or peanut oil in a spritzer would be a viable alternative to buying the filter oil, which is probably just Wesson dyed red. Peanut oil is some sticky stuff. Just try cleaning it off your glasses. hehe.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                FWIW, some vegetable oil or peanut oil in a spritzer would be a viable alternative to buying the filter oil, which is probably just Wesson dyed red. Peanut oil is some sticky stuff. Just try cleaning it off your glasses. hehe.
                Point well taken. I was suprised at the amount of dirt I still got out of them with the K&N cleaner.

Comment

They turned out really well,
                  thanx for the tip,
                  ill try it on my uni filters and let you
                  know how it works for them.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I was buying the K&N recharge kit for the oil also since its gets used alot faster than the cleaner, then I found just the oil in a bigger spray can at O'Rielly's auto parts for about $10.00 US. I was pleased.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that as well.

Happy cycling!
                    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

+1 on soda and oxi clean. I don't use any oil on mine, but I still got a fair amount of yellowish residue on top of the solution. When it was done percolating I just stuck a hose in the bucket and let the 'bad' stuff wash out over the top. That solution works great - exactly as advertised . Thanks!
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        I wonder if it would work on the yellow foam filters too? I can't see how it would hurt it...
                        Well, I took a shot at it on my yellow foam filter. NOT impressed. It did make a nice foamy slurry on top of the water, but lots of oil and gunk remained in the foam. So, I took it to the sink and washed it in Dawn, and that worked much better.

So, I guess the conclusion is that the soda trick works great for the paper filters, but not for foam. Now I guess I'll use the Oxy-clean for my laundry...
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X