Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model?

Hi im new owner of 2 XS1100 one 78 and one 79.
    And im from Sweden, I was glad when i found this forum thou there is none in Sweden.
    I have tried to find answers in the search funktion but without result.

I have seen in some of the threads that there is a letter after the model, like
    E, F, S etc but i cant find out what mine are.
    Could you help me?

Identitynr: 2H9000269 and 2H9023077

Besr reg /Micke

Welcome Mickey, you can find specific model information here. Some where there is a vin library that will tell you exactly which model you have according to the vin...maybe someone who knows where it is will chime in...

Other cool articles can be found here. Learn how to post pictures of your bikes here.
    Last edited by WMarshy; 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Heres photo

Comment

Am I correct when I say those appear to have the larger European fuel tanks?
        Richard
        '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
        '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Micke - Here is the link to the VIN/Model listing. According to that list, it looks like you have The European versions of the '78 and '79 XS1100, neither of which had letters.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Micke View Post
            Hi im new owner of 2 XS1100 one 78 and one 79.
            And im from Sweden, I was glad when i found this forum thou there is none in Sweden.
            I have tried to find answers in the search funktion but without result.

I have seen in some of the threads that there is a letter after the model, like
            E, F, S etc but i cant find out what mine are.
            Could you help me?

Identitynr: 2H9000269 and 2H9023077

Besr reg /Micke
            Hi Micke and welcome,
            the link in 'Bug's post shows that Euro model XS11s didn't have letters after the model number.
            North American bikes were lettered by the year of manufacture; E (1978) with F, G & H for the years following. Specials also had the additional letter S while the Midnight Specials had the additional letter L so that my 1980 Special is an XS11SG while a 1981 Midnight Special is an XS11LH. Both your bikes appear to be Standards which in North America would only have had the year designation letter.
            BTW, the photo of your '79 shows it with the Standard's straight forks and large tank but the Special's round gauges. Nothing wrong with that, most Yamaha parts will swap like LEGO and if you've just gotten those bikes who knows what the PO had to do to repair collision damage? However, the fuel tank senders work in different ways which could lead to the fuel warning light not working.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for quick answer, I think this forum will be important for me during the renovation of the -78. Heres a lot of knowledge.
              Today i received Clymers repair, service, maintence book.
              So i can start with the renovation.
              First project is to get it started again after 2 years in a garage.

/Micke

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                BTW, the photo of your '79 shows it with the Standard's straight forks and large tank but the Special's round gauges. Nothing wrong with that, most Yamaha parts will swap like LEGO and if you've just gotten those bikes who knows what the PO had to do to repair collision damage? However, the fuel tank senders work in different ways which could lead to the fuel warning light not working.
                If you look closely Fred, it also has a 'non-standard' front fender on it too, although I'll agree those do look like standard fork lowers. But both of these bikes have been 'molested', the '79 more so than the '78, so hard telling what's what. At least with two bikes, his chances of getting one with properly matching parts (in function, if not in form) is pretty good.

Welcome aboard Micke; there's plenty of info here that will be helpful (Cbugs downloadable manual is a must-have) to get these revived, so good luck!

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  If you look closely Fred, it also has a 'non-standard' front fender on it too, although I'll agree those do look like standard fork lowers. But both of these bikes have been 'molested', the '79 more so than the '78, so hard telling what's what. At least with two bikes, his chances of getting one with properly matching parts (in function, if not in form) is pretty good.

Welcome aboard Micke; there's plenty of info here that will be helpful (Cbugs downloadable manual is a must-have) to get these revived, so good luck!

'78E original owner
                  Thanks, the plan is to use the black as a donator as much as possible.
                  But i want the red as near original as possible.
                  I will take some more photo of more details and perhaps you can help me to see what original and whats not?

/Micke

Comment

The '78 looks to be almost all there, and original. I can't tell in the picture if there is an exhaust on there, but the exhaust on the '79 isn't original anyway. The paint color on BOTH of them is not original either. The '78 is missing a left side cover, but the rest of it looks pretty good!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

The exhaust on the 78 looks to be a 4 into 1.

It's also got the nicer Pacifico fairing.
                      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Nice bikes man, its very interesting to see XS's from different parts of the world. Even more interesting are the exhaust systems you have. They both look similar as far as I can tell (4 into 1)... FYI, We get a little excited about the exhausts b/c they are fairly rare over here and we dont have many options. So, PLEASE GIVE US MORE PICTURES OF YOUR BIKES! lol Welcome to the family. If they start calling to you in your sleep, dont worry, its a normal thing.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                        X