Piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston rings

My bike seems to smoke pretty bad out of the left pipe when it is started up, i think it might be the rings, but the bike has sat for a few years and looks like there might be alot of grease and gunk in the pipes. Anyway if i need rings where can i find them. I am having a hard time finding engine parts
    1978 XS1100

Not cheap, my friend. Better make sure that's the problem first.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

How many miles does the motor have on it? Could be leaking valve stem seals, or the rings could be froze up. To me, blue smoke on startup tends to point to the stem seals. Bike sits, oil seeps down into the cylinder, and when you first fire it up - blue smoke. Burns the oil out, and blue smoke stops. If the rings are the culprit I would think it would show blue all the time. Sometimes you can free stuck rings by pouring a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders, and allow it to sit overnight. Make sure you've got it outside when you fire it up after the treatment - if you think it's smoking now, you ain't seen nothin' yet .
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

+1 on the valve stem seals. Startup smoking in my experience is normally valves, at least on most of the engines I've worked with.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

as the others have said, it does sound like
          valve stem seals, its easy to check, warm the bike up
          and take it out for a ride, if the engine smokes on decel
          its valve guide seals, if the engine smokes on acceleration,
          has a lot of blow by coming from the engine vent then its rings.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Valve stem seals will also show as white/gray hard ash deposits on the plug where as rings will leave a wet black almost tar like deposit.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
            X