Passenger foot rests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger foot rests

SWMBO announced this weekend that the stock passenger footpegs are no longer adequate for her needs. She wants something more substantial. Something longer. Something wider. Something more like the floorboards of a car or something.

I suggested that maybe she would like a sidecar. She made a counter-suggestion. It is not not anatomically possible - at least for me. I suppose there is someone out there who could do it, but a contortionist that talented already would have signed up with Cirque du Soleil.

But I digress. I am looking for suggestions. What type of passenger floorboards fit these vintage beauties? Has anyone used them? Has anyone tried them, found they didn't like them and out them on a shelf waiting for me to ask for them?

Suggestions, anyone?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Didn't TC build some for his scoot? Maybe do a search and see, but I'm pretty
    sure he did.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Running board sets come up on ebay from time to time.

I have them on my 80G.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Could you make these fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
        1981 XS1100 Special
        Previous Bikes
        1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
        1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
        1982 Honda CB900c
        1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
        1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

If they stay at that price I am going to find out....
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

how about these
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...Q5fAccessories
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Those would work, Psyco. The driver floorboards look rough, but I don't plan to use them. I just need something for the boss.

Thanks.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Well, Psyco, the seller was more anxious than I expected and accepted a way-below-buy-it-now offer.

Problem solved. I love this forum.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                  Well, Psyco, the seller was more anxious than I expected and accepted a way-below-buy-it-now offer.

Problem solved. I love this forum.

Patrick
                  Hi Patrick,
                  Gareth has a set of those on his so if you have any problem fitting he is your man. Those are only the second ones i have seen like that.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

dang it! I would love to get a set of those!!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I thought I should add a postscript to this posting. I bought the foot rests listed above and received them yesterday. As you can see from the Ebay pisture, the passenger floorboards are in good condition. I glued new custom cut rubber runner material to take the place of the ancient rubber inserts and mounted them. They look good my wife is thrilled.

The driver floorboards were another matter. From the posting picture they looked rough. And, indeed, when I opened the box the also looked rough. I was expecting steel coated with Harley-caliber chrome that had flaked off and rusted underneath. the actual floorboards are chromed steel and the left one was in rough shape (in the pic I treated the left board with rust stabilizer and gave it a coat of silver paint just to keep it from rusting further. It is pretty ugly, but structurally solid. The right floorboard cleaned up well). Those can be interchanged with any of the same model of floorboard from the era, though, and Goldwing floorboards are plentiful and often cheap. It is the mounting hardware that is hard to find. I started cleaning it up to see how bad the chrome really was. I have two words for what I found...

STAINLESS FREAKIN STEEL!!! (OK, I known technically that is three words, but I consider "freakin" to be more punctuation than word).

The mounting hardware cleaned up and looks new.

The bad news for my readers. When I bought these I only planned to use the passenger floorboards. These cleaned up so nice, though, that I am also going to use the driver floorboards. I say bad news because this means, for all you folks who PMed me, offering to lift the burden of the driver floorboards from my life's load....sorry.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I put running boards on my 80G a couple fo years ago, and I love them!

I didn't think I would.

I don't have the fancy brake mod your do, though, and I wonder if a heel/toe shifter would work, but so far haven't tried.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                        X