tech questions for long distance bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech questions for long distance bike

Got my bike set up but have a few questions that answers are likely buried somewhere in the pages here, so if you can help direct me I would appreciate it.

Peg Buzz : at highway speeds these are pretty buzzy, is there any mod or aftermarket pegs that can reduce it down?

Clutch slip : maybe just plates wearing but WOT to pass quickly had a lag. For durability and pulling power what plates have worked best?

Thanks,
    Scott
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Don't know about the peg buzz, but I fixed my clutch slip with new aftermarket springs. They were supposed to be 10% stiffer than stock. I don't remember the brand, but I got them from Partsnmore.com.

There's a poll going on about how people fixed their clutch slip, so you can have a look at that.

Good luck!
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Hey, Scott...

I notice a similar problem with vibration felt through the pegs... usually around 3500 rpm. A few things I've found to look for, most times, stems from the exhaust rubbing the frame... rubber bumpers missing around the kickstand or centerstand... contacts the exhaust, then runs it back through the frame... any of those kind of things can make a vibration show up...

Do you have engine guards & forward pegs for cruising? Mine's like that, and I feel a lot less vibration at that rpm resting on those than the regular pegs...

Seems like from those I've talked to about vibration issues... it's pretty normal for the 11 to have vibration around 3500 to some extent...
      forward pegs have helped mine a lot though...
      (Plus... they help keep ya cooler in the summer heat!)

Sounds like she's running good.... great miles & an awesome trip!

Love to see some pics of your scoot & the ride.
      Regards,
      Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

+1 on the exhaust. It sounds strange that something so small can make such a difference, but it can. Be sure your heat shields are tight too (if you have stock pipes).
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by RS Thornton View Post
          Peg Buzz : at highway speeds these are pretty buzzy, is there any mod or aftermarket pegs that can reduce it down?
          Look for a set of earlier (pre-04) Harley Sportster front pegs; those are bolted directly to the motor on them, and they do vibrate. The factory pegs are excellent at absorbing the vibration. New rubbers for them are available. You'll have to do some shimming, maybe a bit of grinding to get them to fit the XS, but they'll go on.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

the bolt that holds those pegs on also goes directly through the two rear motor mounts. After 30 years the mounts get worn out and harden. I would suggest finding some newer or better condition motor mounts. I had a set that the ridges were completely worn down and it vibated the pegs terribly. WHen I tried solid aluminum mounts, my feet would go numb pretty quick. On the ones up front, you can turn them so the less worn ridges are up, but those two in the rear have bevels and only go in one way. I guess you could swap them side to side to see if that puts them in a better position, but I haven't tried that.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I've read on another forum (FJ), that lubricating the rubber engine bushings and bolts will help tame vibration issues. Not sure what lubricant would be best suited for this.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

thanks

I found that the rubber circle on the side stand had slipped down and side stand was right against exhaust. I am going through the rest to see if muffler is touching anywhere else. Have rear wheel off for new rubber so will not know for sure if that fixed it until I get that tire mounted again.

I will look for a set of Sporty pegs on ebay, depending on what I find after I check out the fix above. I do have highway pegs mounted to engine guard and they were fine, would be great if main ones were the same way.

Found the clutch discussion and will be figuring out which solution I will go with. My thoughts now is new plates and maybe aftermarket springs.

Scott
                I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
                X