Whats the proper engine idol rpm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the proper engine idol rpm?

It was at about 1200-1300 and seemed a little to high. I turned the little single screw located at the bottom of the carbs and adjusted the idol to about 900-1000rpm. I know on a standard auto this is fine but, having an air cooled motorcycle, I was just curious if this is ok?
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

1100-1200 is about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
      It was at about 1200-1300 and seemed a little to high. - - -
      Hi 'punch,
      on my XS11SG, if the idle is at 1200 or more it goes into gear with a nasty crunch.
      If it's down to ~900 I gotta keep blipping the throttle or it'll want to cough and stop.
      1000-1100 is nice, at that speed it don't stall and goes into gear without fussing.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

so, it seems its more of a personal preference to the rider? 900 rps wont cause any problems with the carbs or motor? It sounds good, feels good, and no clunk into gear.
        1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

It is a preference. The manual suggest 1100 RPM. If yours idles at 900 smooth and does not sound like some loping hardly, then your s may be just fine that low.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Mine idles good at 900 but has a bit of a stumble when I crack the throttle if I idle it that low.

If yours works good at 900 good for you, but if you get that little stumble just off idle, kick it up just a little.

Comment

I tune my bike to idle at 500 to 700 RPM once fully warmed up. This requires more choke use when cold but is worth it when warmed up...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
              X