pseudo velocity stacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pseudo velocity stacks...

i just did the velocity stack mod like tc's except i used 2 2" exhaust pipe parts from o'reily's and cut them in half. if you look down the throat the metal pipe is smooth going into the carb where as the pvc pipes are thicker than the metal. they looked pretty close but i wanted no bumps in the air path plus the 1/4" couplers have a small step inside them. this worked really good. also another good tip is too nuke the rubbers before you put them on... it made them slide right on with no pressure what so ever. also i didn't need to use the tape mod like tc did because the metal pipe is a 2" one. the mikes xs filters fit very snug without them... plus not the bike seems a little louder. i would like to get the metal tubes oped up a little on the end they need to be radiused to flow better. if you go to wikepedia and read up on velocity stacks there is a link at the bottom about how they calculate flow and such. it says you need a shorter stack with a big radius on it. it shows flow is .5% without a radiaus and depending how big the radius it can go from 1% to about 1.3% it's very interesting. if you go to velocity of sound.com they have a calculator on there to get the correct length for your engine.
    plus this fils in the big a** space where my airbox used to be. this looks much better now. i am leaving p cola tommorow to drive back to ga... i'll let ya'll know if it did anything to the gas mileage and or power. the gas down here is better than we have in ga though!!! i usually get about 3 mpg better gas down here.
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

if you get a chance you should post a picture if this
    1978 XS1100

Comment

i will. it looks just like tc's in the mods section... except i have metal pipes and mikesxs filters not the emgo ones.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

here are the photo's. it's from a large camera so it was hard to squeeze it in there so the pics aren't great!!

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

they turned out well,
          i use the stock v stacks with pods,
          makes for better acceleration.

have you noticed any difference with them fitted?
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

no i haven't really got out of first yet... i am in fl and the outlaw lives of laguna court... hoighty toighty stuff!!! she has an elevator in the house i **** you not!!! it's crazy!

i will leave tommorow for ga and should be able to tell somekind of diff with gas and sotp power.

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

A good thing you can for it next would be to take some wire ties and make a support for the carb bodies to the frame so that when you hit a bump, the manifolds aren't taking all the weight of the carbs. The airbox used to take half the weight but now it's all on the manifolds...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

i thought about that but the mikes filters weigh nothing at all and the other parts i put on are very light. i mainly want to tie them up so if they fell off i wouln'g be out a filter

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

I run with the pod filters and the carbs have never moved or come loose as the filters weigh next to nothing.
                  Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I'm with Geezer.
                    Heft that bank of carbs and then think of that weight bouncing on the intake boots for a few thousand miles.

Then go to Ebay and price a set of intake boots...Around $100.00 bucks.

Those supports for the carbs and filters are going to look like a real good idea...

Your call...
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

well..... got back mon morning from pcola...lost 8mpg on the trip home. didn't notice any loss of power though. odd right? maybe due to no flare on the end?

79 xs11 standard
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

i don't get...???? i re added my receipts all 3 show 31 mpg... i never had to switch to reserve. my reserve always comes on at 4 gallons used. right now i have 140 miles off this tank still no reserve yet. i have the 5.3 g tank. 31 mpg x 4 gallons is 124 miles... could i have been ripped off by 3 gas stations???? i'll leave the stacks for now and i'll poke around on the bike and see. for now i'll leave you with the video of me leaving fl...

Last edited by 81xsproject; 06-02-2010, 06:19 AM.

79 xs11 standard
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                          I'm with Geezer.
                          Heft that bank of carbs and then think of that weight bouncing on the intake boots for a few thousand miles.

Then go to Ebay and price a set of intake boots...Around $100.00 bucks.

Those supports for the carbs and filters are going to look like a real good idea...

Your call...
                          I put better than 4000 miles on mine last week with no support and no problems what so ever. Even rode in the rain. Carbs didn't bounce and the engine didn't sputter. The manifold boots are almost completely supported by aluminum. The only place it isn't is right out at the end where the boot has to expand to allow carb installation. I think people run on the idea that they are all rubber and more like jello than an aluminum tube. This is why the cracks that form on the sides nearly never leak, since the aluminum backbone would have to crack in the same place.
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                          X