Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compareing to outher

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    If your in first gear that sounds about right for the amount of wheel movement at the out edge. I have had two motors with about the same, and with the thing open you can actually see the slack back and forth. It's a combo of the slack in the dogs and slots of the tranny gears, the primary chain (which will have some slack even new) and the middle and final drives (all of which add a little slack to the drive line). I'd have to play around with one again, but IIRC all my standard tranny cars has that much slack in them (or something close).

I don't remember the gear ratios on these beasts (actually don't think I ever knew them) but you generally will get the least slack in the most direct gear, on a car tranny it will often be 3rd for 3 speeds and 4th for 5 or 6 speeds (typcally 5th and higher on autos are overdrive gears). If the gear ratios are anything like other XS models my XS400 doesn't have any gear that is 1:1, they are all either under or over, with IIRC 5th and 6th being overdrives (in that the final output shaft of the tranny does more than one revolution per engine revolution). This does not take final drive ratios into account, since those are almost always a reduction ratio with multiple turns at the engine for each one at the final drive wheel. I think from what I have seen, that the majority of the slop is in the dogs and slots of the gears in the tranny, with just a little bit being added by the other parts of the drive line.

I think part of the slop is to allow shifting to occur without too much trouble since these trannys don't have any syncros to help them mesh. And since the clutch never really 100% disengages (seems to always be a good bit of drag between the frictions and steels), there has to be enough slop especially in first to let the dogs get fully into the slots while both gears are moving in relation to each other.
    Ok, what i am comparing to is the bike I am wanting to put this motor in, there is a lot of deference in the way it handels to the way this one handels, allso i have an 86 venture with the same middel gear setup and no way does either of these bikes have the slop in them that this one does when you are rideing them, this bike only has 16,000 miles on it but it was in a small wreck and was hit from the side but can still be road,i wonder if the swing arm could be bent and causeing trouble, if it was not for the 200 dollar pentaly on the titel I would put it back on the road, but the motor in the outher bike has second gear out and a bad noise in the motor and I got the parts bike cheep, sorry to bug yall i am sure i will find out what is wrong onece I get the thing apart, I hope !
    From rideing the outher bikes and the way they handel I am sure there is something not right with this one.
    dont know for sure but if I get this thing going by sat i will ride it to bob jones get together comeing up if any of you are going to be there, only about 20 miles from my house
    any way thank you all for the help
    dont know what I would do with out the help of every one
    this place is great
    Bob
    1979 xs1100 f
    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money