speedo, tach switch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo, tach switch....

I have a 1980 XS11 with the round speedo and tach. Someone laid it down before me and the chrome is a little crinkled. The speedo is the one that only goes to 85 and doesn't have the gas gauge. I have seen the square type on ebay that has the gas gauge and more top speed. Does anyone know if the square type would fit mine, is it possible to somehow hook up the gas gauge, or is it worth it, should I just hunt for a good set of rounds to replace mine? Thanks for any info
    Kerry-1980XS11 Special

The fuel gage in the Standard (square) gages requires a different fuel level sending unit than what is installed in your Special (more tear drop shaped, about 3.3 gallon) fuel tank. So, while it may mout up to your mounting bracket, it will not indicate fuel level. The 79 Special has the round gages and the higher indicatign speedometer, but they were only made one year and are not as easy to find.

You can also use a speedo from an XS650 or 750/850 which went up to 140 mph I believe.

I have a speedo from an 81 SH I would sell you if your interested.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I also have a speedo and would also sell the chrome housing.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by Crackerman1981 View Post
        I have a 1980 XS11 with the round speedo and tach. Someone laid it down before me and the chrome is a little crinkled. The speedo is the one that only goes to 85 and doesn't have the gas gauge. I have seen the square type on ebay that has the gas gauge and more top speed. Does anyone know if the square type would fit mine, is it possible to somehow hook up the gas gauge, or is it worth it, should I just hunt for a good set of rounds to replace mine? Thanks for any info
        Hi Crackerman and welcome,
        um, the Special's low fuel warning red light is in the tach, not the speedo.
        You don't say, is your bike an XS11SG Special or is it an XS11G Standard that a PO has swapped round gauges onto?
        If the latter, the tank sender may be wrong for the red-eye and you will be back to watching the odometer &/or waiting to run onto reserve.
        FWIW, I reckon the stock Standard fuel gauge ain't accurate enough to make the swap worth while.
        But you can also replace the dinged-up 85mph speedo with one from a '79 or earlier XS650, XS750 or XS850 or with any year of those bikes Canadian metric instrument.
        They all fit and read accurately, just learn to multiply by 0.6 in your head for the metric units.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Parts, advice.....

Thanks for the replies! I think I will keep it with the stock Special tach, and the red warning light. I haven't rode it enough to see the light come on, but the previous owner said it works. I guess if anyone has a good chrome tach cover to replace the bent one? The headlight housing was slightly bent also. Since I am new to the site and the XS11 Special, question: I have not had any prob's starting until the other day, after JB Welding and fixing cracks in both side plates, then re-installing them, I hit the starter button and nothing, not even a sound. Push starting didn't work either, but after a few attempts at the push starting, I hit the button again and it started right up. I warmed it up, took it around the block, then shut it off using the key. Turned the key back on and hit the start button, again nothing. Do you think I dislodged a ground with the side plate since it covers the battery? I have a strong horn and headlight.
          Kerry-1980XS11 Special

Comment

You could try a member by the name of andreashweiss for your tach housing, he has a post in the parts for sale section and has a lot of parts at reasonable prices.

As for the starting issue, I'd check the ignition fuse, if you still got the old glass fuses they can look good but the ends come loose and cause strange problems. Just replace it, simpler then trying to monkey around and figure out if its good or not.
            I'd also check the kill switch on the handlebars, if its "off" or has a bad connection it will cause symptoms like you describe.
            Do you have non-chrome bars? That right side housing grounds through the bars and painted or powder coated bars will cause the starter button to not work right.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Crackerman1981 View Post
              Thanks for the replies! I think I will keep it with the stock Special tach, and the red warning light. I haven't rode it enough to see the light come on, but the previous owner said it works. I guess if anyone has a good chrome tach cover to replace the bent one? The headlight housing was slightly bent also. Since I am new to the site and the XS11 Special, question: I have not had any prob's starting until the other day, after JB Welding and fixing cracks in both side plates, then re-installing them, I hit the starter button and nothing, not even a sound. Push starting didn't work either, but after a few attempts at the push starting, I hit the button again and it started right up. I warmed it up, took it around the block, then shut it off using the key. Turned the key back on and hit the start button, again nothing. Do you think I dislodged a ground with the side plate since it covers the battery? I have a strong horn and headlight.
              Hi Kerry,
              OK, you need a reads-higher-than-85 round speedo with a good bucket and a good bucket for your round tach.
              All I got is non-working speedos and mechanical tachs, all with dinged-up buckets.
              As has been posted, talk to Andreas about that.
              Betcha those other posters are right, you gotta ground &/or fuse problem.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Again i have a good speedo bucket if needed.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                X