Now what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what do I do?

My 80g hardbagger is giving me fits!!! At low rpm (off idle up to 3k) it runs like crap. Misses and bogs down. Does it worse when it is warmed up. I have, checked and double checked floats, synced carbs, replaced vac lines to petcocks, replaced plugs and plug caps. I thought I had it dialed in last night, idled good, pulled hard off the line, after about 20 miles of two up riding, it started doing the same stuff. I have checked the intake boots for leaks, (none), air filter clean, fuel flow good, fuel quality good, battery charged ect. Once it hits 3k, it goes like hell and pulls clean up to redline. Help, I can ride my SR500 forever!!!
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Are the spark plugs fouling black or are you getting an black smoke? Either of these would indicate a rich mixure.

Also it never hurts to check the pick up coils again.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

when the engine is not yet at normal operating temp, it is running "lean" and gets richer as it heats up. Put in clean plugs, run it in the range where it starts running crappy, turn it off, check the plugs. Too rich means,

jetting wrong for exhaust system, or

exhaust system shot, or

floats set too high, or

air filter clogged, or

Air jet (or pilot air circuit) plugged, or

breather hose (78s and 79s) pinched or clogged, or

slides getting stuck and not retracting freely, or some other reason.

Make sure the plugs are not oil fouled.

Make sure that the pick-up wires are not fouled-up (78, 79, 80 models)

Make sure the mechanical advance unit underneath the timing plate is lubed and moving freely.

That is all I can think of.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hardbagger woes

Thanks for your help guys. Here is what I found. Pulled all plugs, #1 lean, #2 running way rich, #3 ok, #4 ok. Looks like a carb problem. Pulled carbs and found dirt in bowls. Going to clean em out, find some good fuel filters and see what happens. Where can I find some effective, small fuel filters? I hit all the stores Saturday and they were all to big.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I had some particles in my float bowls until I added filters and have had no problems since. I used some metal fuel filters that I bought at Walmart. Don't remember the Fram part number, but here they are:

Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Don't use the ones that have a brass chunk in them, they can stop flowing with out warning, (others on this list have had this problem) use only ones that say high flow. I use the ones that Indy Rick suggested and now I am out of them, so i will be in the same boat. Speaking of boats, my boat uses a nice clear see through filter with a cleanable (or changable) insert, I see the replacements at wal-mart, I just need to find a suitable holder and i will use these, have not looked yet though.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Purolater makes one that has changable inserts and most parts stores carry them. I would watch how I mounted them tho cause they could vibrate apart!
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
              X