getting my 1980 xs special running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting my 1980 xs special running

i got my bike about a month or so ago. it sat for about 4 yrs i pulled and cleaned out the carbs and the gas tank. as well as replaced all the fuel lines. i just got a new battery for it and can not get it to start I checked the fuses and could not see any blown. are there any other suggestions i documented where everything came from and did not end up with any extra pieces when it was all put back together so I don't think that was it.

Originally posted by savagejoe View Post
    i got my bike about a month or so ago. it sat for about 4 yrs - - -
    Hi Joe and welcome,
    the search function should lead you to a checklist about how to get a long-parked bike running again.
    (***ked if I can find it though, mebbe someone will chip in with the right code word?)
    You didn't mention if the ignition made sparks. If it sparks you should get a brief burst of revs with a can of quickstart even if the carbs still need work.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

What happens when you try to start it? Do the dash lights come on with the key? Does the starter make any noise? Does the engine turn over, but not fire?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

well you didn't really give enough details...like do the lights on the speed and rev gauges even come on. i had a problem like that with my bike. get a multimeter and go test all the lines. just because it LOOKS good doesn't mean it is. i had a wire that was pulled apart somehow UNDER the plastic coating and that was my problem. just look every wire up and down. there's a schematic somewhere on here maybe someone can find the link. i tried with no luck. i think its in the useful links forum?....but that's what i would do

P.S. never think you did it right. KNOW that you did it right....its your own safety your messing with if you only think you did something right.
        Last edited by usmc_scott; 05-27-2010, 11:43 PM.
        -xs1100 special
        -wife
        -daughter

Comment

Hey Joe, I think the list Fred was mentioning is in the FAQ section titled "What to look for in a neglected XS1100".

If your checking fuses, I am thinking you get nada when you push the starter button. First thign you can try is to short across the large wires on the starter solenoid that is right next to the fuses you were checking. The starter should jump to life then, if not, then check for voltage at the battery. Check the ground connections to the bike and the engine and clean them up. Then try again. If it works then you need to chase down the low side starting circuit wires.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

if the engine is not even attempting to turn, you may want to check the starter switch at the handlebars for corrosion too.
            testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am not getting anything no lights or anything when I turn on the key. I am going to check the wires and see if I can find anything wrong.

Comment

Did you check the main fuse, usually in a holder under the left side cover.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                X