Rear Wheel HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel HELP

I got my old(stock) rear rim/tire off, got 16" of an xs850(?) New tire is a conti 130/90-16
    I got it up to the point of putting the axle through, My question help needed, 1. axle is NOT going through. is 850 axle shaft smaller diameter? 2. the 130/90 is rubbing the shaft part of swingarm. Barely. will it move over after its all installed?
    '79 XS 1100F

I cant answer all your questions but I do know that the specials had the 16" rim and the standards have the 17" rim. So if you are going to be switching to the 16" rim you will need to have all the spacers and plates that came with the 16" rim and if you dont have all the 16" rims spacers (and have them in the right place) it will not work right.

My rear on my 78 is a 130/90-17 and I have to rubbing so it should be fine once you get it installed.

Good Luck
    Nathan
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The rim for the 650, 750/850 and the 1100 Specials are the same. So it should fit up fine. The tire size quoted is the stock tire size.

As to spacing, I assume it is rubbing on the FD side of the swing arm. That would not change when everything is installed, uless it is not aligned properly on the FD splines or something. You do need to install the spacer and the rear brake bracket form a special along with the 16" rim to get all the spacing correct. But that would only change how the brake lines up with the rotor, not the tire rubbing that side of the swing arm.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Yes, still rubs, anyone ever bend the tube there where it rubs? Heat it and hit it with a hammer?
        '79 XS 1100F

Comment

Originally posted by perurider View Post
          Yes, still rubs, anyone ever bend the tube there where it rubs? Heat it and hit it with a hammer?
          That sounds like a really bad idea! if it rubs there must be something else wrong!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by perurider View Post
            That would probably make it contact the drive shaft in that spot. Someone on here did cut out a section for more clearance.

You did go with the special spacers and such right? Unless there is something wrong it should NOT rub, unless the tire on there is abnormally wide for it's specs.

You will need to change out the center and side stands as well as they will be too long/high now, specials use a different part for both.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Going from a 17" wheel to a 16" wheel with a 130/90-16 tire should give you pretty much the same amount of tire clearance that you had, so are you sure the wheel is a XS unit? I wonder if you don't have one off a later XJ or Virago. How many bolts hold the spline assembly to the wheel? If it's less than six, it's wrong. And if the tire's overall width is 5.5" or less, it's not the tire, it's a wheel problem.

And don't try bashing the swingarm; that will throw it out of alignment and make getting the axle in really hard, as well as shorten rear wheel bearing life.

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Tire is less than 5.5" and there are 6 bolts on the spline.
                '79 XS 1100F

Comment

same rim dif size disk

The 850 and the 1100 have diferent size rear disk.and diferent placement of the rear caliper.... ? but no sure.
                  look close.
                  1980 midnight xs1100 Rebilt cosmetically
                  1980 midnight xs850 bagger
                  1980 Special xs1100 (all apart)
                  1979 special Special runner
                  2011 street glide

Comment

Are the splines the same, I didnt switch those out.
                    '79 XS 1100F

Comment

How did topkat ever fix his? I seen the thread where he had one rubbing in the exact same place. but it doesnt go on to say how it was fixed.the washer deal?
                      '79 XS 1100F

Comment

I see the prob. I think...the spline on the stock rim doesnt go into the fd as far as the 16" one I jus got. the dust cover has a quarter inch gap between it and the fd and the other rim dust cover touches...what is the gap on other rides? Should I switch splines or what..input please. My worry isnt just letting it rub, doesnt bother me, I just dont want something out of alignment and not be safe.
                        '79 XS 1100F

Comment

a couple pics....
                          '79 XS 1100F

Comment

Working...
                          X