Pull in clutch, blow a fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull in clutch, blow a fuse

On my way home I pulled in the clutch to slow for a light. The bike died, no electrical. I checked and had blown a 10amp fuse (I have had the new fuse block for months without issue.)

I swapped in a spare 10 amp fuse, started right up, and got about half a mile. Then I pulled in the clutch and blew another fuse.

I swapped in my last spare, a 20 amp fuse, and was able to make it home.

Any ideas?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Oh boy. That's a new one. There is nothing electrical connected to the clutch on the E model. What else were you doing while pulling in the clutch? Braking? Does the clutch cable strain other wiring at the head area? The mains go through that area, JAT.

Comment

I was braking, front and rear. I'll check the clutch cable routing. Does seem like a peculiar set of circumstances, eh?

May or may not be related, but she seemed inclined to stall when I first started home. But only if I let the rpm's fall rapidly. If I eased the throttle down it was fine. If I just chopped the throttle, she stalled. I attributed it to not being warmed up completely (though I did let it warm up).
      Mike C
      Lake Orion, Michigan
      '78 XS1100E

Comment

Forgot to ask---WHICH 10A fuse blew?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
          Forgot to ask---WHICH 10A fuse blew?
          Being honest,I don't know. I'll have to take a closer look today when I get home from work...in my cage
          Mike C
          Lake Orion, Michigan
          '78 XS1100E

Comment

I know this is a bit hard to recall, but did you brake while riding without pulling in the clutch? Sounds like Randy was on this trail, you probably developed a short in one of the brake light wires.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              I know this is a bit hard to recall, but did you brake while riding without pulling in the clutch? Sounds like Randy was on this trail, you probably developed a short in one of the brake light wires.
              I'm sure I did. I've had an intermittent issue with the left turn signal as well. I think it's time to go thru the whole harness this long weekend. I've been looking for an excuse to swap in a round headlight and some different signals. I have a spare special wire harness, any reason (if it's in good shape) I couldn't use that?

If not, I'll need a source on wire.
              Mike C
              Lake Orion, Michigan
              '78 XS1100E

Comment

BTW d
                never EVER substitute a higher amp fuse

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                  BTW d
                  never EVER substitute a higher amp fuse
                  Yeah, normally I wouldn't, but I was half a mile from home and have no way to trailer the bike if I can't get it there. I knew it was risky.
                  Mike C
                  Lake Orion, Michigan
                  '78 XS1100E

Comment

Well I finally got a chance to look at it, and I believe it's the brown to red/yellow fuse...which, if I'm reading the wire schematic right, is the right handle switch. Could it be something to do with the brake light? I was pulling in the clutch and brake when it blew both times. It didn't blow every time I did tho.

I'm starting to think when the bike got wet, it corroded just enough somewhere that it's just enough to blow the fuse under just the right conditions. I'm currently replacing the signals, headlight, and tail light, so if any of those were suspect they're out of the equation going forward.
                    Mike C
                    Lake Orion, Michigan
                    '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                      been looking for an excuse to swap in a round headlight and some different signals.
                      How did it go switching to the round headlight and turn signals? What all did you have to do for the change over?
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        How did it go switching to the round headlight and turn signals? What all did you have to do for the change over?
                        That was pretty simple so far. I am having trouble getting the bullet connectors back together. They make a tool for it, but I can't afford it right now. I might end up changing the connectors. The big issue will be figuring out where to put all the wire that was in that massive square headlight bucket.

Mike C
                        Lake Orion, Michigan
                        '78 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                        X