Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THe most God-forsaken noise on my new bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned before, get the diagram from the service manual and make sure all the parts are there on the countershaft and in the correct position.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Oh

and the bike didn't have this on it...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/images/tip...6-cl5fig57.jpg

seems he forgot it. Could that cause the whole assembley to be loose and the 2nd gear to be cackling? Or should we continue in the disassemble process?
      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

If you're referring to the bolt that holds the countershaft in, yes that might be the problem.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep

Yes the countershaft had no bolt securing it down, so 51 lb ft of tourque was missing from the countershaft. Now that I have the countershaft off a quick feel shows the 2nd gear to be solid, no movement. SO it was in fact the countershaft moving causing the noise.

Now after reading a thread or two it doesnt seem I can just run to home depot and get the bolt and washer can I...

What are my options...other than calling the PO...haha.

We need it ASAP the tail of the dragon is looming June 10th.
          1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Yep, you need that bolt, it is a custom piece not an off the shelf item. I am no where near having that bolt loose on the bike I am parting out (including the engine which kills me cause it ran sooo good, but both cases and the head are shot form the wreck.

Contact Andreas Weiss and put a note in the wanted parts forum.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Working...
            X