Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THe most God-forsaken noise on my new bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I found it...

Think I have identified the source of the noise, just don't know exactly what it is and how to fix it. You can see/hear it most clearly from looking into the crankcase and it is the smaller circle of ball bearings behind the clutch. It seems to be the source of the noise. I am sure I real engine speed it gets pretty nasty. Just need to know what and how to fix this!

A few facts:
    PO did the 2nd gear fix
    There was a a glittering of metal flakes at the very bottom of the oil pan.
    36k on the bike.
    The few miles I rode it, it seemed to shift very well.

Here are a few videos that will show what I am referring to hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx7YbFotCak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3egUga7_pOQ

Thanks for your help!
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

bit hard to tell by the vid,
      its not the gear on the left (middle drive) hitting the
      top of the fork guide?
      the guide has a notch in it, if its not seated
      properly it can make a noise siilar to yours.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Maybe a picture..

Thanks pete, it is hard to tell as a novice when you are in there....ha. From our observation it seems to originate from the thing in the picture to which the BLUE arrow is pointing to.

There are ball bearing things in there (I know still learning) that when rotated do not turn smoothly, not seated properly. When you put your finger on it, you feel a good deal of movement, vibration like they are not being held in properly or something.

Now this may be a symptom of something else, but it definitely doesn't sound right.

Any good diagnoses?
        1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

IT sounds very much like a gear noise, as in the spacing of the sounds seems like gear teeth hittign something they should not be.

The blue arrow points to the bolt and bearing that the countershaft rides on. When performing the second gear repair, that bolt is pulled and the chaft of gears you were looking up at comes out by pulling the shaft behind that bolt out of that bearing.

If it were me, I'd pull the clutch basket off like in that picture and see if you can still hear it or better locate the source. I am almost thinking perhaps the PO did not get the circlip on the oil pump idler gear correctly and it might be wandering on the shaft causing issues.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Dgxser

I see what you are saying. A vibration/noise from that bolt/bearing could be any of the gears not seating properly or something. Gotcha, makes sense.

I will pull the clutch basket off either today or tomorrow and see what I can find. Will the oil pump gear be inside the transmission or on the side of the crankcase. Just wandering what I should be looking for with that circlip.

Looks like he didn't quite do the 2nd gear fix quite so well. He also mentioned that he moved the washer, I remember reading about that. Not sure if that helps....

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
              Will the oil pump gear be inside the transmission or on the side of the crankcase. Just wandering what I should be looking for with that circlip.

Looks like he didn't quite do the 2nd gear fix quite so well. He also mentioned that he moved the washer, I remember reading about that. Not sure if that helps....
              The Oil pump Idle gear is in that picture. Its the gear being pointed at by the furthest LEFT red arrow pointing DOWN. There is a circlip on the end of that shaft (that's the shift fork shaft) that holds the gear on (it's visible in that picture. There is a washer on BOTH sides of the gear as well. That circlip is known to jump off, allowing the gear to walk outward and rub on the back of the clutch basket. Sometimes the gear can get destroyed by doing so.

The washer swap that your PO referred to is a common part of the 2nd gear fix. It should make 2nd gear engage more fully.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

This is great information. I will remove the clutch basket ASAP and report on what I find. Maybe another oscar movie will come about.

My clutch was super stiff. Anything I can/should do in there to alleviate this, while I am in there?. It was painful.

Thanks so much guys.

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
                  My clutch was super stiff. Anything I can/should do in there to alleviate this, while I am in there?. It was painful.
                  Get one of those hand-grip exercisers. If the PO installed HD clutch springs, it WILL be hard to pull in the clutch.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

tranny noise

ok so I really believe we have found it. THe PO did the 2nd gear fix, and didn't do something correctly. We flipped the bike and played with the tranny. THe 2 nd is rattling against the dog teeth because there is play in it. So most of the time when the tranny is rotating it is clanking against it making the "bolt in the dryer sound". I could acutally move the 2nd grear one way and it would would smooth and then move it the other way and it would fully engage. THerefore at normal space it just rattled against it. THere actually seems to be a lot of play in 3 or so of the gears. THe video I will post in a minute will show it exactly. Just takes a few minutes to load from my phone.

Anyways, I don't really know how to fix this. So I need the tranny gurus to tell me. Do I need to simply replace the washer to seperate something??

I probably need to check the gear and teeth to make sure they are ok.

THanks for the help.

Comment

2nd gear should be solidly mounted and have no play or movement on the shaft. 5th, 4th, and third gears slide side to side, but none of them should have any wobble.

I suggest you pull the countershaft out and inspect the gears, the shaft, and all.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

im with dgxser, pull the gears and see
                        how they assembled it.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

If ANY of the gears have ANY wobble at all, you're going to need to replace some parts. Here's one that I worked on, and the shaft was destroyed by the wobbling gear. Had to replace the shaft and a few of the gears.

1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Might seem like a crazy question but is the starter button intact? Last year my button came out and I resorted to sticking a key in the hole to start. Not thinking much about it a few days later became convinced a bearing was going out in the trans. Turned out the starter was staying engaged while it was running.
                            79SF
                            XJ11
                            78E

Comment

Here

here is the video showing what it is doing, excuse my lack of these transmissions, it is my first time getting into them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66tidueLxw

That is why I was wandering how the 2nd gear holds still, because even when I take it apart, I have no idea what i am doing. Guess I will be reading the tutorial like crazy!

And that starter buttion is fine, I know what that sounds like becasue I have had it happen to me before!

Thanks

Oh and keep in mind that bike was probably ridden at most 50 miles on it like this prob at least 3 miles. I do not think the PO got it running after the 2nd gear fix. And hence did not know about the God aweful noise.

Comment

Also from the video you can kind of tell that there is not any wobble, just slidage. The the proof is in the pudding...

Comment

Working...
                                X