Aftermarket gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket gauges

could you use a speedometer and tach from a parts store ment for a car. i don't know alot about gauges
    1978 XS1100

Not a good idea..... those aren't meant to be exposed to weather and wouldn't last long on a bike, besides the vibration/compatibilty issues. Fitting aftermarket gauges to these is tough, as there isn't real big selection that will work. For the speedo, you need one that matches the bikes speedo drive ratio; MikesXS is the only source I'm aware of. Somebody else will have to pipe up on aftermarket tachs, as the stock one is driven off the alternator and I don't think you'll find any aftermarket unit that will connect like that.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      - - - For the speedo, you need one that matches the bikes speedo drive ratio; MikesXS is the only source I'm aware of. Somebody else will have to pipe up on aftermarket tachs, as the stock one is driven off the alternator and I don't think you'll find any aftermarket unit that will connect like that. - - -
      Hi Steve,
      Mikes does sell an electronic tach, Part #03-0675 on this page
      http://www.mikesxs.net/products-46.html#products
      Sez it works with the XS650 post '79 single/dual coil so it should also work with one of the XS11 coils. Gonna lose the stock tach's charge meter secondary function though.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X