2nd gear fix explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear fix explained

After riding today, and going through the gears pretty quick, I began wondering what the 2nd gear fix does. I can't ever get a smoothe shift into 2nd on my bike no matter what I try - when riding quick. If I'm just taking it easy I can hit second really nicely.

In simple terms, what does the 2nd gear fix do? Does it just make the gear mesh more solid? Is there anything that can fix the clunking/grindage going into 2nd from the 2nd gear fix?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

The 2nd gear fix...
    Read the tech tips section on the mechanics. Basically it fixes the problem, when the bike pops out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration. You might want to adjust the clutch a bit... change the oil... think bout additives (QMI or sth), stuff like that. But keep in mind, its not a honda.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

The XS/XJ gearbox is clunky. No real fix. The "2nd gear fix" is to replace or repair worn gears, specificaly the 2nd and 5th gear pair. In my case, 2nd gear would "skip" as the gears disengaged and re-engaged under load.

In addition to replacing or repairing the gears, there is discussion about moving a washer to the other side of one of the gears.This increaes the engagement, helping to minimize the chance they will 'skip" in the future. New gears also have the dogs undercut (tapered) a couple degrees to help pull the gears together. You can taper old gear dogs to get the same effect.

This problem crops up on other Yamahas of the same general age, as it was due to a design philosophy rather than a specific bike problem.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

AFAIK the washer thing pays off in drag bikes. No need to mess with it if you're at least a semi-normal rider. AFAIK installing new cogs eliminates the need for washer moving.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
        X