Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My middle drive and the final drive were.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My middle drive and the final drive were.....

very low on oil the middle had maybe 4oz and the final had about 5oz or so ,i drained it and put new gear oil in with 12 oz in mid and 10 oz final , the mid didn't have any unusual metal bits or blackness to it so i think maybe it is all right ,the final was black with what i would call normal shavings on the magnet and no metal drained out , i took the bike out after doing all this and it seemed much smoother and more precise , does anyone know if this will result in any better gas mileage? I'm a noobie to these bikes and am learning as i go along , i'm now realizing that this bike has little maintenance done to it for for a long time.

I doubt you will see any milage improvement.

I strongly recommend that you get a manual and go through ALL of the maintenance procedures on the bike. It will be the best time and money you ever spend IMHO.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature. One of the main things to do when you first get an old bike is to change ALL the fluids. Make sure you do the same to the brake fluid too.

Make sure you check on the fluids occasionally too. Several folks have lost their entire middle drive unit lately because it was allowed to run dry.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

After riding with my wife on the back of my XS1100E for about 50 miles when I stopped my rear differential felt warm to touch, it wasn't hot as I could lay my hand on it. Is this normal?
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
          differential felt warm to touch, it wasn't hot as I could lay my hand on it. Is this normal?
          Winterhawk, as long as the oil level is up to the full line on the dipstick when it's cold it's normal. It'll run a little cooler if you change it and add a synthetic gear oil like Redline instead of dino juice. It works the same for the mid-drive oil, too.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
            After riding with my wife on the back of my XS1100E for about 50 miles when I stopped my rear differential felt warm to touch, it wasn't hot as I could lay my hand on it. Is this normal?
            Yes. Normal.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X