Float adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float adjustment

When setting the floats do you let the float set on spring or hold float down to were it closes needle valve onto seat?

You want the float just barely resting on the valve needle so that it doesn't compress the spring. I usually turn the carbs on their sides so that they are mostly vertical.
    Last edited by Snow; 08-20-2003, 11:46 AM.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Float level

to set the float levels, you simply invert (turn 'em upside down) the carbs and check the float "level" where they come to rest.
      Do NOT "hold" them or restrict them in any way.
      Measure them (per specs) and then check to see if they are all similiar (look accross all four floats from the side)
      Check to see if any of the floats are "bent" both floats in each carb must be the same (or it will throw off the spec)
      Disregard this if you have fiber floats.
      After checking (or setting) the heights...flip them over and CHECK THEM AGAIN!! and then AGAIN...make sure all needles are working (sealing) by holding the carbs upright...then put a small piece of fuel line on the 2 feeder lines (between the carbs) then while you blow gently into (1 at a time) the line...gently lift each float and check to "hear" any leakage or gently lift both and check for air leaks...then do the other 2.
      If they "bench check" then check (again) your levels and re-assemble
      Right? Denny?
      MO-N-STEVE
      '79 SF "MO's Missile"
      '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
      '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
      '80 SG "The BEAST"
      '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
      '81 SH "The NEW KID"
      '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

Thanks! Now I know we did it right? My bike still fouls plugs and uses a lot of fuel. I still suspect ignition coil are going south. Bike has loss of power and seems to drop cylinder on and off.

Comment

Are you anywhere near Nashville? If so, I'll be happy to help you with you carbs.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
          X