Speedometer error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer error

Fishing for answers here. I have an '81 LH. The speedometer reads incorrectly, but the odometer reads accurately. Speed will show about 40 mph when I am actually doing 60, the error gets worse as the speed gets higher (much lower indicated than actual). The odometer however, reads accurately. One mile is one mile, no matter what speed. New cable installed. Lubed everthing I could get to.
    Any ideas??? Only just over 11,000 miles on the bike.
    Thanks

Welcome aboard, Jim! JAT, did you take the speedo apart and clean/lube the inner workings?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The speedometer needle pivot bearings needs to be cleaned and lubed, or there may be some insect debris... but unfortunately, you have to disassemble the speedo to get to them, and these are 'sealed' units.

Some owners have managed to very carefully pry off the bezel and get these apart, but it's rare that even if you do get it off, getting it back together without looking 'repaired' afterward is. There are professionals that repair these, but don't expect a low cost; $150 and up is pretty standard pricing. You can get new units from Mikes XS, but these won't match your existing gauges. Your best option will probably be finding another used speedo; member Andrea Wiess may be able to fix you up, or there's always EBay...

Owning a LH model may make this hard to find a 'exact' match, so good luck...

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey Ninjajim: I have an LH too & got a new used tach for it from Andreas on this site. They are the same as any other special for the speedo or tach. I had an xs650 that did the same, I just knew the difference by using another bike beside me & then keep that info in my head when I drove. - Dan
        '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
        1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
        Rebuilt head, valves
        TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
        Tkat Fork Brace
        T.C. Spade Fuse Box
        Dyna Coils & wires
        Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
        ISO grips with stelleto ends
        4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
        Bridgestone Spitfires
        Tuned by Tinman905
        & a will to keep it.

Comment

I've tried most of the solutions suggested, thanks guys. I may need to buy a replacement if I "need" the accuarcy. A mention of disecting the speedo and cleaning, but the obvious repaired look. Is it possible to drill a small hole in the side of the casing and lube it that way? Just wondering where to access the speedo needle. I would imagine some silicone shot through a tiny hole would get the job done. Thoughts on that?

Comment

Oil right between the moving part and screw on part using 3 in 1 oil with the connection level and one drop at a time on one side. Watch the oil go down before adding another drop because if you put too much on it will sit on that lip and not go in. Let it sit a couple days upside down and then put it back on and ride it right after. I did this and it stopped my gauge from bouncing for about a year.

Last edited by Montreux_Blue; 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
            X