Help Pipe now turning red hot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Pipe now turning red hot...

I ve adjusted my mixture screws out to 4 turns by starting at 2 turns then run for a bit to try and hear a change, graduling turning 1/4 turn at a time to try and find the sweet spot. No luck yet, still won't idle. I decided to run sea foam through recently as well as carb cleaner. I was just running some carb cleaner through the bike and noticed that pipes 2,3 and 4 were red hot. No one around here has heard of a color tune and the local bike mechanic is booked for at least 3 weeks. The bike will run and gradualy slow down the idle until it stops. The bike has good pick up, it just wont idle on its own and I need to feather the throttle at a stop light. Every one thinks I'm trying to race them. Now what?
    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
    1978 XS 1100E
    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
    K & N Air filter
    Home built forward controls
    Vulcan Mustang seat
    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I ve adjusted my mixture screws out to 4 turns by starting at 2 turns then run for a bit to try and hear a change, graduling turning 1/4 turn at a time to try and find the sweet spot. No luck yet, still won't idle. I decided to run sea foam through recently as well as carb cleaner. I was just running some carb cleaner through the bike and noticed that pipes 2,3 and 4 were red hot. No one around here has heard of a color tune and the local bike mechanic is booked for at least 3 weeks. The bike will run and gradualy slow down the idle until it stops. The bike has good pick up, it just wont idle on its own and I need to feather the throttle at a stop light. Every one thinks I'm trying to race them. Now what?
    Sounds to me like the tips of the mixture screws ar broken off and stuck in the carbs.

Pull the screws out and check them,the tips shoud be quite sharp. Needle sharp.

If they are blunt they're broken

Comment

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1...=p3286.c0.m301
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I see you slipped those pearls in there snappy!.....LOL....

Comment

id also start by backing the idle screws in until
          it starts to run rough being careful not to screw them
          in to tight, then gradually back them out til you
          get that cylinder running smooth.

but as suggested make sure there are no tips broken
          off, its not to hard to do.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Brad,

I agree with Greg but the idle screws are different on the carbs we run. On my set the screws have a long straight and very small tit that can easily break off. Hot pipes are an indication of LEAN condition. Put your bike model and info in your signature so we can help you better.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

My .02 is... I would double check the sync.Check for any vacuum leaks especially around the throttle shafts. I used carb cleaner with the small tube and short sprays at the ends of the shafts. I can get my motor to run rough when the mixture screws are too far IN or OUT. A vacuum leak will cause havoc when trying to set carbs correctly. Been there done that!! GL
              Rob
              82 XJ1100
              Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
              Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

Ivan mentioned in a previous post (another member who mentioned 'red hot pipes') that his pipe will glow red sometimes. I think he's got the Jardine spaghetti pipes on his, but I wouldn't swear to it. When you've got it sitting there idling it's always a good idea to have a fan blowing on the motor. Any of them will get hot if they sit idling too long without any air moving across the fins. The best way to tell if you're rich or lean is by checking your plug condition after they've been in for at least 1k miles. I'd also check the carbs as mentioned, but don't get tunnel vision on them. Ignition problems can fake you out into thinking they're carb issues, so it's a good idea to run the electrical checks on your pickup coils, ignition coils, and TCI voltages too. You can't solve a problem until you locate it, and testing with a dmm can often point you in the right direction. JAT
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Only when I was high idle...

Forgot to say it was only when I was high idle for 5 minuets that the pipes turned red hot near the motor. I sprayed a 1/4 can of carb cleaner directly into each carb when I took off the air filter. That's when I noticed. Ran some more sea foam through the scoot again today, cleaned the K & N Air Filter with the K & N Air Filter Recharge kit. I tried to set with the idle screw and it rev's to long at a higher idel, aprox 30 to 45 seconds then slows down to stay running. When I back it off to where the throttle will respond to what I think is correct, quick accel, quick decel, it gradualy slows down and die's out. I tried to adjust using the throttle cable only, same thing happens.....
                  Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                  1978 XS 1100E
                  Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                  K & N Air filter
                  Home built forward controls
                  Vulcan Mustang seat
                  A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                    I agree with Greg but the idle screws are different on the carbs we run. On my set the screws have a long straight and very small tit that can easily break off. Hot pipes are an indication of LEAN condition. Put your bike model and info in your signature so we can help you better.

I'm running 79 carbs John and I had 3 of 4 idle mixture screws broken off in these when I got them.

I had another set of 79s I was running before that had 2 broken off and I never knew it. Couldn't get the idle right.

That is why I got the other set and rebuilt them. That is when I realized WHY the first set wasn't idling properly.

I like the 78 79 carbs......much more adjustable than the later ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X